is this tree alive ?

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
so the question is, is this tree alive ? i never seen a redish, pinkish color before when scratching the bark.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 10.10.32.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 10.09.47.jpeg

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
anywhere i could get a better check ? or could it be that the cut(sratch with my nails) wasnt deed enough ?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
stop scratching bark. It will tell you very little. Just be patient and wait for spring.
it is a normal color for trees to have

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
stop scratching bark. It will tell you very little. Just be patient and wait for spring.
it is a normal color for trees to have
Aha ok, thing is though. i just got, like a week ago. If it is indeed dying, dead or sick, i can switch it or get a refund on it.. And it was quite the expensive tree.. thats why i wanted to know

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many species have reddish inner bark. The cambium layer is right at the junction between bark and wood and may be very thin when the plant is less active.

Why are you doubtful about the tree. Surely it is too early to be worried? All penetrations through the protective bark have the potential to admit pests and diseases. Scratching the bark will not make the plant live or die and there is nothing you can do either way so just leave it and continue care until early summer in case it is just late to bud.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the bark you show is inflated and shiny. A sign of a happy tree, normally.
Do you have pictures of the buds, and the whole tree?
Which species?

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the bark you show is inflated and shiny. A sign of a happy tree, normally.
Do you have pictures of the buds, and the whole tree?
Which species?
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 10.55.03 (2).jpegIt is a podocarpus macrophyllus (as far as i know)

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 11.09.19.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 11.09.19 (1).jpeg

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am confused. Why are you scratching bark here? This is a tree with a full crown of leaves and strong buds.

What do you think breaking the bark will tell you?
i cut of 2 smaller branches that were bruised heavy (propably when it got deliverd) cut them off close to the stem, and i noticed no green layers. might have slightly paniced or thought something was wrong so i made those 2 small nicks.

Bad move i guess judging by the response..

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has a beautiful lush green canopy, I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Certain looks alive in those bigger pictures.

It’s normal for trees to get a little beaten up when shipped but generally nothing they can’t bounce back from, yours seems to have made it with minimal damage. 👍

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well.... Asking this Q I figured the tree was dormant with no leaves. Why look for green under the bark when the entire tree is full of green???

I’ve tree btw. Are planning on using it for for bonsai or in a landscape/house plant?

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well.... Asking this Q I figured the tree was dormant with no leaves. Why look for green under the bark when the entire tree is full of green???

I’ve tree btw. Are planning on using it for for bonsai or in a landscape/house plant?
because i am prone to panic when i dont know something XD bad habbit..

anyway i dont know yet, it's quite tall and big and it has quite long needles. So i am stil thinking about what to do, if i layer it halfway (it has a branch going up that can work as a new leader) i have 2 medium ones to work with, so thats an option. any suggestions ?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Acer negundo has red sap and white wood and woodworkes make beautiful articles with it. Lignum vitae has very dense red wood. Pick a color, there's a species that has that as wood or sap.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ha.. well thats why i am trying to work on it.. taking this on as a hobby is one of the thing i'll hope to learn to get some patience
I can appreciate that. Seems to me there are a lot of people attracted to bonsai because of the Karate Kid movie which reflects deep thought and meditation as an attribute of the care of bonsai. Yet no one approaches waxing a car with the same fervor. Bonsai can and has for many developed into a form of relaxation with something of a contemplative nature bordering on or embracing meditation. It has done quite the opposite for other people. I wish you the very best in this hobby and hope you find what you are looking for, but it is not in the change of devotion to an endeavor that one finds this sort of peace, it is the changing of the mind. Fortunately a change in action can proceed the change of mind. My most sincere wish for you is that this be the case.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm totally Anti-scratch....

But somehow I'd rather see this scratched then all the other dead stuff!

This is no different than when someone scratches a fully dead, I mean deader than yours is alive, tree!

They've made 2 mistakes, you've only made one!

Sorce

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Coming back to this one, the tree has alot of new growth now light green needles flare up on a lot of spots.

But its also thinning itself out in the middle and dropping alot is that also normal with new growth ? Cause i really cannot seem to find any information on it

Top Bottom