Is this tree dead???

Bunta

Seed
Reaction score
So recently I had a friend move away for college and he asked if I wanted is Juniper bonsai tree and me always wanting to get into bonsai but never pulling the trigger on buying my first tree gladly accepted the offer so I picked it up this morning and when I got it this was the condition I got it in. I noticed the foliage was various different colors so I'm not exactly sure on the condition of this tree any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3940.jpg
    IMG_3940.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 106

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks fine to me. This time of year conifers she's their older, interior needles, that's what it looks like is happening to me. Keep watering and it should be fine.

Bunta

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you! do you have any tips for around fall/winter I know during winter I need to keep the roots from freezing from what I've read online so I will probably be using mulch to help protect the roots especially the exposed ones on the surface.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You could dig a hole just deep enough for the pot and place it in the hole. A bag of mulch around the base can help too. Putting it near a south facing wall can help as well as the wall will retain and give off heat it collects from the sun

Remember, if you mulch, keep mulch 3” from the base of the tree. No mulch should be touching the trunk

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think my junipers didn't get the memo. They've been frozen solid for three winters :eek:
That's why I love them, they don't let me down.

Oh, and junipers can go gold/brown and even purple in winter, that's pretty normal. If they stay that color until the end of spring, then it's time to worry.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. We need to have your info on every post, or you’ll be asked over and over. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sacrifice Bunta!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
No the tree is not dead. However it is a long way from becoming a bonsai tree.
Sorry to contradict everyone!! if you look closely at image 3941 jpg it appears infested with Minute Juniper scale insect, Carulaspis juniperi a pest which sucks the sap, causes browning and dieback of a range of conifers. It needs treatment to get rid of the pest or the dieback will continue. Apply Neem oil or systemic insecticide- following the manufacturers instructions, or immerse in soapy water to kill the little b.......s!
see link for more info https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=917

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry to contradict everyone!! if you look closely at image 3941 jpg it appears infested with Minute Juniper scale insect, Carulaspis juniperi a pest which sucks the sap, causes browning and dieback of a range of conifers. It needs treatment to get rid of the pest or the dieback will continue. Apply Neem oil or systemic insecticide- following the manufacturers instructions, or immerse in soapy water to kill the little b.......s!
see link for more info https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=917
Do you mean these? Those look like water droplets to me. There's more droplets on image 3940 too, so it appears the tree got watered just before the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3941_edit.jpg
    IMG_3941_edit.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 44

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So recently I had a friend move away for college and he asked if I wanted is Juniper bonsai tree and me always wanting to get into bonsai but never pulling the trigger on buying my first tree gladly accepted the offer so I picked it up this morning and when I got it this was the condition I got it in. I noticed the foliage was various different colors so I'm not exactly sure on the condition of this tree any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pleased add your location info. It is critical in providing advice on what to do with this ailing tree this winter. Junipers can get frozen roots. It's not really a problem. They're hardy outdoors. THIS IS NOT AN INDOOR PLANT...It will limp along inside and finally kick it, probably this winter. The mite infestation could be a sign the tree has been kept inside...

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think my junipers didn't get the memo. They've been frozen solid for three winters :eek:
That's why I love them, they don't let me down.

Any junipers I style, I give to my sister who has a shade-free, south facing yard.

They sizzle in the summer, and go on the north side of the house in winter to remain frozen from December to April. They seem to love it.

Babying junipers...c'mon man.

Bunta

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight! and yes the tree was watered prior to the photos as the friend said he couldn't remember the last time it was watered so i watered thoroughly prior to the photo. As for location i'm in a zone 6 area don't really know if thats good or bad for junipers but I definitely want to give it my best shot to turn this tree into a nice bonsai!

Top Bottom