Is this tree doomed?

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I assembled a native forest from several volunteers around my property. At one point I had gone through with a weed whacker in the area this liquidambar was in, however it was equal to the task and kept growing and survived through the winter. I pulled it and it produced a bunch of buds on the trunk below this damage to the bark, however the buds above continue to swell as well. The cut is all the way around and there is no cambium “bridge” across the gulf. Is the top just living off of stored energy only to ultimately die? Or is the tree being only 2 years old max young enough to pass nutrients through the heartwood somehow until it can close the gap. I guess I’ll see eventually but if it’s only a matter of time I want to scope out a replacement as it’s one of two centerpiece trees. Would be a shame too it had really interesting purplish fall color.

Attachments

• IMG_8189.jpeg
    IMG_8189.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 44

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is what a failed air layer looks like so treat it that way. I would make a fresh cut at the top of the girdle to expose the cambium, then apply rooting hormone, some moist long fiber sphagnum moss, wrap it in clear plastic and keep it warm. In a few months you kay have a rooted paint. I have a zelkova that looks exactly like that due to a failed air layer last year and plant to treat it this way.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This is what a failed air layer looks like so treat it that way. I would make a fresh cut at the top of the girdle to expose the cambium, then apply rooting hormone, some moist long fiber sphagnum moss, wrap it in clear plastic and keep it warm. In a few months you kay have a rooted paint. I have a zelkova that looks exactly like that due to a failed air layer last year and plant to treat it this way.

I assumed this would likely be the case but was surprised how long it lasted and thought maybe it had a chance. I guess it is going to become my first attempt at an air layer, I hope the top which I like a lot has enough juice left to push some roots.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I assumed this would likely be the case but was surprised how long it lasted and thought maybe it had a chance. I guess it is going to become my first attempt at an air layer, I hope the top which I like a lot has enough juice left to push some roots.
I have a failed air layer on a dissectum JM that has had no cambium for 3 years and it's still alive. At least it was last year, we'll see this spring.

Top Bottom