Is this trident for real?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Good price.

Imported
Amazing nebari

Branches are cheap but trunks are expensive...

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Also no need to graft this tree. It would be full of branches in 3 years time...

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Japan import is of value to me because I know most trees imported have been grown for bonsai for a while. It's also harder to import trees now so you won't see a lot of them in the future.

The nebari on that tree is fantastic. Basically the surface roots have fused to create the base of that tree. Takes a long time to get a base/nebari like that. Old = expensive

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I take it back I looked again and see that there is more than just basal flare but definitely not excellent nebari in my opinion. And I still don't see a greater value if it was cultivated in the US as a bonsai or imported from Japan

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
That is why value is sujective. You don't have to see why imported bonsai are more valuable to some if they're not to you. Also i'd love to see some of your trees if you don't think that is a good one. You must have some incredible trees in you collection. I can't wait...

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
No need to be a smart ass as it doesn't take one owning nice trees to know what a nice tree is. I do indeed have some very nice trees that I will be sharing with the forum sooner or later. For $700 you can buy a much nicer trident than the one that was auctioned. That tree was not worth a dollar over $200, and that's being generous. You can build nebari just like you build branches don't know why that it so baffling to everyone.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too bad Smoke isn't around. Al has some great Tridents and they are one of his favorite trees. I would love to have his opinion on it's worth.
Tona

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
No need to be a smart ass as it doesn't take one owning nice trees to know what a nice tree is. I do indeed have some very nice trees that I will be sharing with the forum sooner or later. For $700 you can buy a much nicer trident than the one that was auctioned. That tree was not worth a dollar over $200, and that's being generous. You can build nebari just like you build branches don't know why that it so baffling to everyone.

You asked for opinions and you got mine...

Why do some people value japanese cars over american cars? I do because japanese cars benefit from japanese technology and engineering which is know forits performance and reliability. I value imported trees not because of its label but because japanese trees benefit from the knowledge and technique that went into developing trees since they are seedlings. That tree is worth what people are willing to pay for them.

In my opinion, starting another thread bashing prices on ebay isn't useful because they are so many of them already. Just search for the term ebay and you'll see what I am talking about.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Too bad Smoke isn't around. Al has some great Tridents and they are one of his favorite trees. I would love to have his opinion on it's worth.
Tona

He is quite the authority on sumo tridents maybe he can talk some sense into me

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
You asked for opinions and you got mine...

Why do some people value japanese cars over american cars? I do because japanese cars benefit from japanese technology and engineering which is know forits performance and reliability. I value imported trees not because of its label but because japanese trees benefit from the knowledge and technique that went into developing trees since they are seedlings. That tree is worth what people are willing to pay for them.

In my opinion, starting another thread bashing prices on ebay isn't useful because they are so many of them already. Just search for the term ebay and you'll see what I am talking about.

Are all Japanese trees created equal? Just because it's a Japanese import it makes it superior. That's rubbish

Good_Ol_JR

Seedling
Reaction score
700 dollars is significantly overpaying. Everyone claims their tree is imported because novice morons pay twice as much thinking it has Japanese magic in it. That tree is pretty nice, I'd pay about half what it went for.

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
Its a nice base, and as mentioned previously..bases and trunks matter. Branches not somuch unless its a very nice old well developed tree.

But really, Who cares? Not being a wise ass. But, why does this even matter? $700, $200, $201 etc.....Its "worth" what the person paid for it. They may feel like they got a good deal.

The "Import" tag for some people carries "value". For others it does not. That tree would be run of the mill and very, very cheap in Japan compared to what it just sold for. But, just look at the crap trees on the US ebay. Tough to find a decent nebari these days.

Heck, I'm pretty happy for the seller. I'd be especially happy if I had a few nice trees to sell. Now appears to be a good time to list a decent tree if you have one to sell. Seems like the market is "hot".

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
"it's worth what he paid?" that's a crock of you know what. Maybe that what it was worth to the two high bidders but my point is that is not what it's worth in my opinion and I thought it was worth sharing to see if I was in the minority or majority in my opinion. That was crazy high, I'll agree that eBay is super hot at this minute. And definitely good for the seller, sure he's jumping with joy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm...makes my bench worth about 20K +-

I would pay about 100.00 tops for that. The trunk is crap. The base is a little muddy for my taste. I like more individual roots showing rather than just a huge glob of wood.

as far as ebay...I am reminded of P.T.Barnum......

Now about nebari...this is nebari and for that I would gladly pay $710.00. Hell I might pay $725.00, I feel generous with the season and all....

Merry Christmas to you all, I'm runnin late again, one of my reindeer is still in the can. Got a good deal on a trained reindeer. His name is Shitzen!

Attachments

• DSC_000200011.JPG
    DSC_000200011.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 96

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
So, you got one of my points. Its worth what they paid....they bid what they thought was fair and won it.

You or I would not have paid that...I would not have paid $200....not knowing what a tree like this would probably sell for in Japan.

Now, my first point...does it really matter?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, just for those that think you can't have a chop on the front of a world class shohin bonsai, you are looking at one.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 85
Top Bottom