Is this wilt on a Bloodgood anything to worry about

Dennis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planted a large (15 gal.) Acer P. "Bloodgood" two weeks ago to develop as a landscape niwaki. Since planting a few small branches here and there have wilted; curling, then going crisp. Its affecting a few leaves per day and is not wide spread. The first picture; the wilted branch, was taken about 16 days after the 2nd picture showing its healthy pre-planting state. I lost a similar tree last summer so I'm being very cautious.

Bldgd wilt 19Nov2013 .jpg Prewilt.jpg

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Is it getting a lot of sun? Looks like leaf burn to me.

Dennis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it getting a lot of sun? Looks like leaf burn to me.

It's in partial but bright shade, but getting more sun than at the nursery where it was under a canopy. The branch shown is on the NW side, getting almost no direct sun. It came from an Oregon grower to N Arizona, it would be quite a change in summer but not in Oct/Nov.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suspect you being in Arizona has a lot to do with it. My First suggestion would be to place that pot on 2-3 bricks in a tray/container and having water in it just above the water surface like the water tables. I did not see any Black Knot in those pictures but I did spot what looks like White Powder on the leaves. That could be a Fungus problem. Either way get water under and really be certain it does not get direct sun there. The birds there hide in shrubs all day and they are not half as sensitive as that tree is.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Grimmy, the tree is planted in the ground now (I think). Maples prefer more humid regions then Arizona, so siting and culture are critical. I would be reluctant to let a Japanese maple get any direct sunlight in Arizona, except maybe early in the AM. Hopefully the soil is fairly moist without being sodden, and the ground just up to the trunk is heavily mulched. Also, be aware of prevailing winds...arid wind will dry out the foliage regardless of how well watered the tree is...perhaps a wind break may be a good idea. Good luck...are there other Japanese maples planted in the landscape in your area?

Edit: it's also possible the leaves were hit with a frost and decided to curl up...a fair amount of foliage on palmatums will do this...no big deal as they were going to fall off anyway.

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
JMs will often 'flame out' when they are in pots. I've seen it frequently at retail nurseries and even have a 13 foot tall Higasayama in my yard that 'flamed out' (i.e., all the leaves curled and went brown suddenly) - I bought it when it produced a second flush.

It could be any number of things associated with getting it to Sedona in a pot. Moreover, this is about the time of year that it should be dropping leaves anyway. Many red-leafed JMs make no color change for fall - leaves just wither and fall off, maybe turning brown first. I don't think there is anything to worry about as long as there are buds at the bases of those brown leaves.

The primary fungal issue is nectria. At this time of year, little orange fruiting bodies should be visible on the bark toward the base of the twigs with the leaves that are 'flaming out'. Since the OP doesn't mention any 'orange stuff' I am doubting that it is an issue. But, if there is orange stuff and/of a bunch of orange speckles, cut off the affected branches well below where the orange fruiting bodies are seen and promptly dispose of the affected branches. Thoroughly sterilize your pruner with isopropyl alcohol or a bleach solution (quarter cup per gallon concentration) after every cut. Nectria is very 'contagious'; the hyphae extend inches below (toward the roots) the area of the fruiting bodies.

Dennis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's more information:
1. This is the temperate part of AZ; four seasons and more precip than N. California.
2. There's a thriving Crimson Queen about ten feet from spot where I planted the Bloodgood.
3. No frost yet...not expected for a few weeks December.
4. No fungal powder or mildew on the tree.
5. It was grown in Oregon and shipped to the local nursery in October, where it was kept under a canopy. Now it is getting some sun (same as the nearby CQ which is gorgeously full crimson now).

It's possible that I have not watered it enough because I once drowned a Bloodgood; but I use a moisture meter with a long probe and it show "moist" at about 9" depth.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here's more information:
1. This is the temperate part of AZ; four seasons and more precip than N. California.
2. There's a thriving Crimson Queen about ten feet from spot where I planted the Bloodgood.
3. No frost yet...not expected for a few weeks December.
4. No fungal powder or mildew on the tree.
5. It was grown in Oregon and shipped to the local nursery in October, where it was kept under a canopy. Now it is getting some sun (same as the nearby CQ which is gorgeously full crimson now).

It's possible that I have not watered it enough because I once drowned a Bloodgood; but I use a moisture meter with a long probe and it show "moist" at about 9" depth.

Good stuff. It's probably nothing to worry about, though I'd water it deeply once a week for at least a few months, and probably again next summer.

Top Bottom