Is this wireworm?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a Juniperus conferta "Blue Pacific" (according to the label....) which I bought last November 2018.
Its color didn't look very well but I thought it was due to cold. However, this was getting worse, more and more needles were yellowing, drying and dying.
I was waiting for spring to make the repotting but the tree didn't show signs of good growth so I was cautious with my watering but I did feed.
This morning I took the tree out of its plastic nursery pot and the soil was very damp. Not compacted (there is good % of pumice in there) but very damp.
The roots have not populated the soil and I removed enough from the bottom and sides. I did not mingled the roots but I did see two or three white root tips.
I have put the tree into a big colander, keeping it in shade and I filled the gaps with its own soil. No bonsai soil.
During the process I found this worm. I made a search on the internet and I think it is similar to a wireworm. What do you think?
IMG_9164.JPG IMG_9167.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a Juniperus conferta "Blue Pacific" (according to the label....) which I bought last November 2018.
Its color didn't look very well but I thought it was due to cold. However, this was getting worse, more and more needles were yellowing, drying and dying.
I was waiting for spring to make the repotting but the tree didn't show signs of good growth so I was cautious with my watering but I did feed.
This morning I took the tree out of its plastic nursery pot and the soil was very damp. Not compacted (there is good % of pumice in there) but very damp.
The roots have not populated the soil and I removed enough from the bottom and sides. I did not mingled the roots but I did see two or three white root tips.
I have put the tree into a big colander, keeping it in shade and I filled the gaps with its own soil. No bonsai soil.
During the process I found this worm. I made a search on the internet and I think it is similar to a wireworm. What do you think?
View attachment 246707 View attachment 246708
I would try putting it in more sun being that it is a juniper and perhaps back off on the amount of water. Junipers normally do well in sun and drying out a bit between watering.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you both Steve @Lazylightningny and Frank @River's Edge for your replies.
Frank, the tree up to the time of emergency slip potting was put in a place where it received direct sunlight from 12:00-13:00 to 17:00-18:00
So, you suggest that I put it back to its former location.
Regarding the pest, I think that in any case I have to use some insecticide with next watering.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you both Steve @Lazylightningny and Frank @River's Edge for your replies.
Frank, the tree up to the time of emergency slip potting was put in a place where it received direct sunlight from 12:00-13:00 to 17:00-18:00
So, you suggest that I put it back to its former location.
Regarding the pest, I think that in any case I have to use some insecticide with next watering.
I keep all junipers in full sun all day, however your temperatures are likely higher in the summer. We seldom reach 30 Celsius. The junipers and pines in my outdoor nursery receive full sunlight from 0600 to 2100 at this time of year.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I keep all junipers in full sun all day, however your temperatures are likely higher in the summer. We seldom reach 30 Celsius. The junipers and pines in my outdoor nursery receive full sunlight from 0600 to 2100 at this time of year.
Yesterday we had 36°C and we usually reach 38° - 40° during July.
My Pines and Cupressocyparis are at the terrace of the building receiving full sunlight like yours from morning till night :)
Have a nice, sunny summer Frank!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesterday we had 36°C and we usually reach 38° - 40° during July.
My Pines and Cupressocyparis are at the terrace of the building receiving full sunlight like yours from morning till night :)
Have a nice, sunny summer Frank!
I would have trouble with your warmer temperatures, simply not used to that much heat. I like to escape When it gets hotter here in August by going fishing farther north. Cooler on the water in the wilderness! My favorite destination each summer is called Rivers Inlet. Occasionally i catch a potential Bonsai Tree off the shore:cool:
Hope the air conditioning works well for you and the summer includes lots of Parks and Garden spaces.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You are lucky that you can escape!
Me and my husband are always dreaming about an escape but every time various situations/problems/needs arise and we just keep on dreaming our next visit to our farmhouse :p
Frank, no matter how well the A/C works it will never replace fresh air. To be honest we try our best to use the A/C the less we can. Fans/ventilators are our main choice.
Unfortunately, Athens lacks open space. So parks, coppice etc are "endangered" species :p
Nice talking with you, Frank. Thanks for your time!

Top Bottom