Is Trident Leaf Curl normal after they start to l hardening off?

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I just added a new trident to my collection a few weeks ago and the tip of the leaves are curling upward after they are starting to harden off. I have another trident and I know when they first start sprouting there leaves they look droopy but then flatten out when they harden off. Is this normal for a trident to curl upwards.:confused: I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never seen them turn upwards. They curl up claw like fashion if any excessive moisture is present at night due to fungus. Spray with a fungicide weekly to keep the leaves in good shape. I always get a few of these fungus attacks during this time of the year due to the tree pushing spring growth hard and then a rain storm comes in and hits the leaves with fungus. Keep the trees seperated as much as possible for good airflow to help keep the leaves dry as possible.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I didn't know Tridents were susceptible to fungus. Elms are the ones I've had black mold issues with so much.

Umeboshi, good question. Cooper or Daconil?

Bill Olson

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It could be an Acer Buergerianum (Naruto) Maple. I have one of these and could not figure out why this was happening. After some research I found out it was how this spies grows.

Bill Olson

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sorry guys I'm just now getting around uploaded a few pics. My dog took off yesterday after a bad thunderstorm and showed back up late this morning, he had me worried. Here's a few pics of the tree.IMG_2505.jpgphp4iqhWPPM.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks normal to me. I think I have seen some with leaves look like that... and believe they even have a cultivar name after it. Unsual for sure and I like it.

Bill Olson

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This could be an Acer Buergerianum (Naruto). I have one that did the same thing that had me worried. After some research I found that this is how this spieces grows.

Bill Olson

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah the leaves look a little different then my other trident right next to it. You can see the leaves of my other trident in the second picture to the left. The leaves are a lot bigger on that one.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry guys I'm just now getting around uploaded a few pics. My dog took off yesterday after a bad thunderstorm and showed back up late this morning, he had me worried. Here's a few pics of the tree.View attachment 22164View attachment 22165

That is normal for this cultivar. Acer buergerianum Naruto

While some find it attractive, I do not like it. In summer the curl is so prominent that it looks like it is suffering from water deficiency. It will look wind burnt. Please don't read anything in to this, but I have seen dealers sell this off during winter and leafless as trident maples. While truthfull, it seems that the buyer does not know what he has untill it leafs out. while indeed you do have a trident you do not have a trident in the same sense. If you just like variety in plants than this is an oddity to have in ones collection.......just not mine.

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah i got it on eBay and it was leafless. I had no idea that there were another type of trident. I'll probably just leaf prune all the leaves off in the summer so I have a second crop of fresh leaves when they start to look bad and that should take me in to the fall. I like the tree other wise the trunk is massive on it and and the branching is pretty good also. Oh well I'll have two different species of trident in my collection and I can all ways sell it later if I don't like it. Thanks for the info

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah i got it on eBay and it was leafless. I had no idea that there were another type of trident. I'll probably just leaf prune all the leaves off in the summer so I have a second crop of fresh leaves when they start to look bad and that should take me in to the fall. I like the tree other wise the trunk is massive on it and and the branching is pretty good also. Oh well I'll have two different species of trident in my collection and I can all ways sell it later if I don't like it. Thanks for the info

Cutting off the leaves won't cure the look. The new leaves will curl up just like the crop before it. Nature of this tree.
Your trunk was massive and the branches were good because this tree never sold while it was in leaf. Sold naked on ebay is the way to move these.
FYI, there are about 50 cultivars of trident maple.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Smoke, I too have had some issues with fungus on trident as you suggested. I have used a fungicide called Bravo (chlorothalonil) that worked well in the past but it is very toxic and does not seem to be working as well any more. Some one asked what fungucide you use but you seem to have missed answering. I also would be interested what fungucide you use. I found copper worked good on other species but not on the persistant trident fungus.
Thanks for your advice.

Top Bottom