Island Torrey Pine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Americas rarest pine tree Torrey Pine has an even harder to find offshore island subspecies Pinus torreyana insularis. These are an exclusively SW California native. Please can anyone help me find or can you obtain seedlings or even a good cone or seeds of this tree? I've searched every way I can on the internet and phone including contacting several Cal nurseries and even the forest service with no luck:(. Please reply to my post or send a PM on this site. Thank you.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you know that the needles are up to 12" long on this species? Is this a bonsai project?
CW

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Curious why you desire them specifically so bad if you're not using them for bonsai?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For an Arboretum I plan on developing. Knowing that there are a lot of Cal folks on here it seems logical that at least one other is a fan of rare trees as well and will know.:confused:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Part of being rare, is well......... they are rare, so seed being easily available would contradict the "rare" designation. If you know of any California University doing research or restoration projects, or a chapter of Nature Conservancy working on the island, you might contact them, with your credentials as an Arboretum, they might cooperate with you on obtaining seed. You might just have to go there and collect seed yourself, if all else fails.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Part of being rare, is well......... they are rare, so seed being easily available would contradict the "rare" designation. If you know of any California University doing research or restoration projects, or a chapter of Nature Conservancy working on the island, you might contact them, with your credentials as an Arboretum, they might cooperate with you on obtaining seed. You might just have to go there and collect seed yourself, if all else fails.
If I knew these folks or places I would not have made this appeal. I'm frankly appalled how many comments I've got that are useless waste of space and no help at all.

Top Bottom