ISO - Anderson flats

Reaction score
Hi ,

I don’t need a pack and only looking for 2-3 Anderson flats that are 5 inch deep . Is anyone interested in selling them and I can Buy them ? Am in Minnesota and we don’t get Anderson flats locally

Regards,
Abhishek

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If they don’t sell them, but at least use them, try visiting local plant nurseries to see if they have extras laying around or worn ones slated to be thrown out.
In my experience, if you ask nicely, they’ll just give you theirs or sell them cheap. One nursery traded me a few for a loaf of cardamom bread..

Reaction score
If they don’t sell them, but at least use them, try visiting local plant nurseries to see if they have extras laying around or worn ones slated to be thrown out.
In my experience, if you ask nicely, they’ll just give you theirs or sell them cheap. One nursery traded me a few for a loaf of cardamom bread..
Yeah I have already tried that with almost all nurseries near me . Hardly any nursery has them

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah that’s the last option if I have to buy I need to buy 10 atleast when I need 2 . Not the best use of resources and hence asking here
That's what you say now!

I put in an order a couple years ago thinking I'd be good for a long time.

I ordered more again this year...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
American Bonsai has them, but doesn't give them credit for what they are. They charge way more than stuewe (link above) but it might be cheaper than paying for 10 of 'em.

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A bit off topic but are there any sellers of Anderson Flats in Europe?

TwilightTrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Buy any cheap bucket and a soldering tool. Melt multiple holes with the tool. In the bottom and maybe sides. You can also make holes for guy wire. The benefits of a melted hole vs a drilled hole is that the melted is stronger and wont crack in time. You can also adjust the depth of the pot by either melt or saw the side to correct height. But I prefer a bit taller pots. I only fill soil in the bottom part, but the added height create a protetcted environment with higher humidity, good for new yamadori

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you don't need them that big they have 10x10 pond baskets in Lowes that serve the same purpose. You can block the sides with weed fabric and let the bottom open... almost every place that sells Anderson trays will sell by the case, they come to less than $4 ea. and if you plan on doing this for a while, they are well worth the investment.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do have several I can part with. I have the 5"x16" and some that are a little shallower and wider, 4.5"x17". The shipping is going to be killer, but if you want to foot the bill I can send you three or four.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am not out to steel this post, but talking about Anderson flats, does anyone know where I can get a grow pot around 12-14" square, and 8-10" deep? A lot of us collect yamadori that have roots that will not fit in a 5" deep flat. I know a lot of people build boxes for these trees, but something already made would be nice. One can use the bigger nursery pots, but they need to be cut down etc, etc. Wish Anderson would make some.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not out to steel this post, but talking about Anderson flats, does anyone know where I can get a grow pot around 12-14" square, and 8-10" deep? A lot of us collect yamadori that have roots that will not fit in a 5" deep flat. I know a lot of people build boxes for these trees, but something already made would be nice. One can use the bigger nursery pots, but they need to be cut down etc, etc. Wish Anderson would make some.

You can get pond baskets that size. Find them on Amazon, or usually much cheaper at your local hydroponics shop.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would use a wooden box for a collected tree instead of an Anderson flat or grow pot. I think that even a slightly oversize Rootpouch supported with a wooden structure would be more beneficial. The flat's benefit is allowing roots to escape to develop a tree, that will allow your new roots to escape, leaving a minimal amount close to the tree for when you decide to move into a pot. A pouch will help the feeder roots proliferate within the area you will use inside a bonsai pot, and will allow a small percentage of roots to escape into the ground to help strengthen the tree at the same time.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would use a wooden box for a collected tree instead of an Anderson flat or grow pot. I think that even a slightly oversize Rootpouch supported with a wooden structure would be more beneficial. The flat's benefit is allowing roots to escape to develop a tree, that will allow your new roots to escape, leaving a minimal amount close to the tree for when you decide to move into a pot. A pouch will help the feeder roots proliferate within the area you will use inside a bonsai pot, and will allow a small percentage of roots to escape into the ground to help strengthen the tree at the same time.
I just sent a note to Anderson about building a heavy tray/pot, 12-14" square and 8-9" deep with the small holes in the . bottom. I assured them that the bonsai people would buy them all! I would bet much simpler and cheaper than building wooded boxes. I'm sure they will hop right on that

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've used all options for collected trees, depending on the roots I've had to work with. I like the pond baskets when I can use them, but they're useless if you've got a big root sticking way out to one side. Whatever you use, make sure the tree and container are stable for the long term. You don't want to move them around for at least a year.

Top Bottom