ISO Shishigashira

joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all, I have decided that the “Shishigashira” variety of JM is a must-have for me; the only downside is that it’s very hard to find a well priced tree that isn’t 1) overpriced for a young age or 2) far out of my price range for its age/establishment. Is anyone willing to sell me any seedlings or pre-bonsai/rough material? If not, any nods in the right direction to help me find a great deal is very much appreciated!

joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They will airlayer, if you have a yard I'd consider buying a landscape specimen and building your own.
Unfortunately I’m in an apartment but I do have willing parents that would donate a portion of their yard to me. I was hoping to find a decent priced 3-5 gal to take layers off of, though I do realize the better return on a bigger investment that way.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You cannot get seedling grown 'Shishigashira' All cultivars must be asexually propagated - graft, cutting or layer. That's one of the reasons these can be more expensive.
Any seedling will have genes from 2 parents. Even if the seed was 'selfed' with pollen from the same tree the genes get recombined in sexual reproduction so seedlings will have new combinations which will express as different leaf shape, color, size, etc.

Expect to get what you pay for. If you are willing to cut cost but then spend years growing and developing the tree then go ahead and buy cheap but it often turns out better to invest in a better starter and save years of work and worry.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have some on their own roots if you are interested, PM

joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You cannot get seedling grown 'Shishigashira' All cultivars must be asexually propagated - graft, cutting or layer. That's one of the reasons these can be more expensive.
Any seedling will have genes from 2 parents. Even if the seed was 'selfed' with pollen from the same tree the genes get recombined in sexual reproduction so seedlings will have new combinations which will express as different leaf shape, color, size, etc.

Expect to get what you pay for. If you are willing to cut cost but then spend years growing and developing the tree then go ahead and buy cheap but it often turns out better to invest in a better starter and save years of work and worry.
After watching a Greenwood Bonsai vid of Corrin air layering a large Kotohime & yielding at least 7 in a season, I think I’ve decided that this would be my best investment for these exact same reasons, thanks for the input!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Bonsai is a game of time.....one can get ahead if they are willing to pay for the time.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got one from Lowes for $129. It's a lot but it also has enough to take air layers from in the future, so really you could get multiple trees out of that $129 eventually.

Top Bottom