Issue with Green Japanese Maple

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I waited for the tree to leaf out and start to put on some growth. I think it was a pretty warm spring too but honestly I was just excited to try air layering 😆 this year I’m waiting for the leaves to loose delicacy before cutting in. Should be the first week of May 🤞
got many in the books this to go round myself, still quite new at the ins and outs of the layers. may we beat back the dawn and fare well if not a few rays❣️

Stweed

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just separated two of mine! How are yours going?!

Attachments

• 43EC30C1-8706-495D-A01E-874E83E620D4.jpeg
    43EC30C1-8706-495D-A01E-874E83E620D4.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 28
  • C7260792-46BD-4A54-9D9E-6FF6C1CE7280.jpeg
    C7260792-46BD-4A54-9D9E-6FF6C1CE7280.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 27

CT Yankee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, those are some great looking roots. I checked mine a couple of weeks ago and they were looking a bit weak so I'm letting them go until the end of June before I check again. Hopefully they fill out like yours did.

CT Yankee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine didn't fill out quite as nicely as yours but 2 of the four looked like they had viable roots so I rolled the dice and cut them off. I didn't disturb the moss at all so I really don't know the extent of the rooting but I didn't want to chance damaging them. They are now all potted up with fingers crossed. The small air layer didn't generate any roots so it's now gone. The air layer for the main trunk had good roots on one side but only short stubs on the other side so I closed it back up and will wait a bit longer (also with fingers crossed).

Attachments

• roots1.jpg
    roots1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 16
  • roots2.jpg
    roots2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 16

Stweed

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine didn't fill out quite as nicely as yours but 2 of the four looked like they had viable roots so I rolled the dice and cut them off. I didn't disturb the moss at all so I really don't know the extent of the rooting but I didn't want to chance damaging them. They are now all potted up with fingers crossed. The small air layer didn't generate any roots so it's now gone. The air layer for the main trunk had good roots on one side but only short stubs on the other side so I closed it back up and will wait a bit longer (also with fingers crossed).
I’m crossing my fingers for you! They look like they should be good!! I’ve checked my other two from this spring and neither has roots so 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom