Issue with Kiyohime Maple

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was checking out one of my maples today and noticed a discoloration on the bark. The tree overall looks OK, but this was definitely not how it normally looks, so it was pretty concerning. The leaves have grown in a little oddly this season, but look healthy overall. I had assumed it was because it was getting more full sun than it had in the past couple seasons, but upon further inspection I'm not so sure.

I seem to recall somebody mentioning something like this a while back, but can't remember exactly what the cause was. Is this some kind of fungal issue? Or something else? Anybody know?

Is it something I can do anything about or do I just need to ride it out? A cursory search brings up Verticillium as a possibility, which sounds pretty nasty, so I hope it's not that.

The tree was re-potted from a nursery pot into this training pot in early spring, so there was somewhat aggressive root work done this year. I'm sure that's somehow the culprit, as that's the main thing that's different from prior seasons.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know what exactly it is, but my first kotohime had the same problem. The branches that had that all died and the tree itself not much longer. Not to scare you but I would be SUPER concerned if I were you!

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Black stuff on your maple is never a good sign.. I have no idea what it is but i am hoping its nothing serious or can be treated easily.

That maple seems to have great potential! Cheering for a succesful outcome

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Usually blackish means death of the cambium - if so, the blackish areas should be punky = gooey, spongy, sunken, ... The discoloration is less of a concern (and maybe none at all) if it isn't punky AND your tree has healthy foliage above. Further, there doesn't appear to be any damage/wound associated with it. Had there been, I would start the nectria fire drill. For what I see, I'd take a nap. See what it is like in a few weeks.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nearly all maladies on maples are some fungus or another, even nectria. Maples as bonsai should be treated with fungicide all year monthly and more if blights are seen.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This looks like canker disease caused by fungi or bacteria. It's never good to see black spots like this and unsure as to the root of the problem. The tree may have been weak at some point and opportunistic bacteria or fungi could have taken advantage. Your tree will not necessarily die unless it girdles the trunk. If able to contain it, the affected will eventually peel off and the tree will callous over. I think best thing you can do is adhere to best husbandry practices possible. Best hopes for your tree. As noted, it looks otherwise healthy which is a very good sign.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This looks like canker disease caused by fungi or bacteria. It's never good to see black spots like this and unsure as to the root of the problem. The tree may have been weak at some point and opportunistic bacteria or fungi could have taken advantage. Your tree will not necessarily die unless it girdles the trunk. If able to contain it, the affected will eventually peel off and the tree will callous over. I think best thing you can do is adhere to best husbandry practices possible. Best hopes for your tree. As noted, it looks otherwise healthy which is a very good sign.
Would you cut anything off or just wait it out? Is there anything I can apply that might help?

It does look like the worst of the problem is on a branch I've always considered disposable, so if I had to cut that off I wouldn't sweat it too much. But there is some on the main trunk as well. Do I just cross my fingers and wait? Apply some fungicide and hope it keeps it in check? Or do I need to go to a further extreme and carve out the affected areas?

The overall health of the tree has me optimistic - but if there's something I can do now to help, I'll definitely do it.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nearly all maladies on maples are some fungus or another, even nectria. Maples as bonsai should be treated with fungicide all year monthly and more if blights are seen.
Good to know - I've never had any issues in the past, so this just hasn't come up. Do you have any specific products that you'd recommend for this purpose?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most fungal issues are like a bacterial infection in a human. Little penicillin and bingo bango gone.

Then there things like verticillium which is like pancriatic cancer and there is no cure. Fire blight, a fungus in pyracantha's is very deadly and spreadable.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Would you cut anything off or just wait it out? Is there anything I can apply that might help?

It does look like the worst of the problem is on a branch I've always considered disposable, so if I had to cut that off I wouldn't sweat it too much. But there is some on the main trunk as well. Do I just cross my fingers and wait? Apply some fungicide and hope it keeps it in check? Or do I need to go to a further extreme and carve out the affected areas?

The overall health of the tree has me optimistic - but if there's something I can do now to help, I'll definitely do it.

I would leave affected areas alone and let the tree heal naturally. You may want to treat with a systemic fungicide such as Bayer. It will not hurt and may help in containing the problem. As smoke pointed out good to do anyways as preventative applications. It will not however bring back those affected areas as they are dead. Make sure your tree does not stay too wet and placed in an area with excellent ventilation.

Top Bottom