It was 64 degrees in February, so I did the unthinkable...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I sifted soil components!

4C506C17-B4C4-42D8-B4E3-E1783DBC8E1E.jpeg

Ugh! This the least fun job in bonsai. I was able to make batches of 3 sizes: large, medium and small.

I have too much large, and too much small. I will have to make another set of batches so that I will have enough medium.

And, unfortunately, a lot of the gross is waste as it’s too fine to use.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
agree I hate this. May try some Aoki mix since I can't find Akadama yet this winter for under $50-$60 a bag. Seems an online shortage of Akadama. I got spoiled by my $35-$40 bags from Superfly bonsai.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No soil sifting for me here yet. Its 30 degrees and there is six inches of snow on the ground.
I do it on a nice warm day, afternoon usually and have a few of these to keep my mind off it

beermug.jpg

In a bottle of course cause it helps keep the dust out of the beer!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Get yourself a folding table and work at a proper height to save your back!

And I am going to pick up a few bags of aoki mix and akadama hopefully monday, even though most of my repotting is done already :p

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
agree I hate this. May try some Aoki mix since I can't find Akadama yet this winter for under $50-$60 a bag. Seems an online shortage of Akadama. I got spoiled by my $35-$40 bags from Superfly bonsai.
Bonsai learning center in NC has akadama for that price, but after shipping may end up the same as you mentioned

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sifting can be kinda a zen event... if you have enough time to relax and enjoy the moment.

Otherwise it’s chug and go!

cheers
DSD sends

cwilhelm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ugh! This the least fun job in bonsai.

It's not too bad! I find it pretty therapeutic, although I might just be eager to do something outside. My wife probably thought I was a bit crazy hanging out in the 40 degree weather this weekend for several hours, hidden in a cloud of pumice dust. Good thing for n95 masks!

I have too much large, and too much small.

I've taken to putting the large grains in a bag and pounding them with a hammer or cinder block in an attempt to end up with medium grains. They seem to skip straight past "medium" and "small" to "inhalation hazard" sized though 😅

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ive never ever sifted soil😊
The year I was curious and sifted...was a huge upping my game on how my trees behaved. Healthier...then repotting following sieving... I can't imagine not doing it. Huge difference...

But, I remember...saying the same thing years back. Once one sieves...you can't go back to no longer not doing it. I will say that.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to do it per tree as I repot each one. That way I get the blend each tree is best with, and it's less painful that way at least for me.

I was thinking about posting in this thread ... but now that I know Judy uses the same technique, I DEFINITELY have to chime in 😃

I just sift tree by tree. Get the blend just right for each tree and container combo. Easy peasy.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol, so many different routes. I re-purpose my substrate. Which means that at repotting time I have a few 10 gallon containers on standby, where I dump the old substrate. Come nice spring/summer weather these get sun-baked. once dry, I sift and put in storage bins.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to do it per tree as I repot each one. That way I get the blend each tree is best with, and it's less painful that way at least for me.
I tend...to only do what I need of a specific blend for what I'm potting at the time too. But, unlike you...I buy blended mix so it's even less work. I hate sieving...but I can't just not. Not after seeing the benefits of it. I was hoping I would see it as therapeutic...but alas...not so much. I'm glad other's find it about as much fun as I do.

Top Bottom