It was a little bigger than it looked

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The nursery I go to for regular workshops (Bonsai Center Ginko - Danny Use) doesn't sell tree's online nor ships them.
He does sort of advertise online by posting pictures on his facebook or blog, but usually all prices are hidden or photoshopped out.

So here I was waiting to board an airplane, scrolling my facebook wall and noticed Danny had posted some pictures of his morning walk trough the nursery.
There I noticed this lovely Kashima maple with the price tag clearly visible.
As I've been looking for quite a long time now for a nice Kashima (within my budget) and was about to board a plane I didn't hesitate and messaged him to see if it was available.
I was the first to respond and it was put aside.

54228861_572677219894242_6114565607250722816_o.jpg

So a few days ago I had a workshop planned and I could finally go pick it up!
I warned my girlfriend there would be another small little tree joining the benches while running down the stairs and off I was.
When I arrived I asked Danny about the tree, he pointed towards a massive big green bush standing at the back of the room and I honestly didn't know what to say.
I thought he was pulling a prank on me. I mean, I know the benches at his place and I honestly expected a tree with a height of about 30cm (12inch or something), but not this huge tree.
I completely misjudged the size of this tree!

7dd89dd2cb7df9c48b75b8821d7ba124.JPG

b124fdba667f3c81272fbcf0841b30c1.JPG

Anyways, I was already happy because I could add a Kashima to the maple collection, but this super seeded my wildest expectations.
I'm very curious the see the inner structure and work on this material.
It certainly stands out on the bench. :p

5d79c67074a6ffcc0df70e2aafab6c58.JPG

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice buy :)

How did your gf (Lisa?) react? Mine keeps telling me she has to compete with trees these days. Not sure what she means by that :D

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice buy :)

How did your gf (Lisa?) react? Mine keeps telling me she has to compete with trees these days. Not sure what she means by that :D

Hahaha
Ye well, I think Lisa has given up on that. At the start of my bonsai hobby she knew all the trees on the benches, but I'm guessing she lost count at 30 or something.
She usually just rolls her eyes when I tell her I'm going to Danny's :D

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My wife suffers from "plant blindness" it's awesome. I can toss a 3' tree in a 5 gallon pot dead center in our yard and she thinks it has always been there. Every now and then she'll ask if a tree is new while pointing to something I've had for years haha.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That is one nice tree. Lots of potential.

Over the years, I have come to feel that Japanese maples, in general, look best as bonsai when at least 0.5 meters thru about 1.0 maybe 1.5 meters. Especially the highly colored cultivars with larger leaves look best at the larger sizes. The 'Hime' types, (Princess type dwarfs) are okay for smaller sizes, but the majority look best in the size range you just purchased. Nice find., this tree has a great future ahead.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is one nice tree. Lots of potential.

Over the years, I have come to feel that Japanese maples, in general, look best as bonsai when at least 0.5 meters thru about 1.0 maybe 1.5 meters. Especially the highly colored cultivars with larger leaves look best at the larger sizes. The 'Hime' types, (Princess type dwarfs) are okay for smaller sizes, but the majority look best in the size range you just purchased. Nice find., this tree has a great future ahead.
Oshio Beni about one meter.

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 89

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife suffers from "plant blindness" it's awesome. I can toss a 3' tree in a 5 gallon pot dead center in our yard and she thinks it has always been there. Every now and then she'll ask if a tree is new while pointing to something I've had for years haha.

Haha I know, usually she doesn't notice either, but I couldn't really hide this one...

Nice tree man! Is that 795 or 195?

195 it was. That's why I didn't hesitate no matter the size.

@Leo in N E Illinois I some way I understand what you mean and have to agree, but a nice ramified shohin or chuchin maple in winter silhouet just gives you a different vibe then a bigger sized one.
Each to his own I guess?

I'm actually very glad with with the size of tree because of how small the leaves of a Kashima can get. Will be awesome.
I think @William N. Valavanis has at least 2 very beautiful specimen.

Beautiful tree and combination with the pot @Smoke. What's the fall color like?

This one was displayed in one of the tokoname's at Danny's place this weekend for our class.

fc0c1b44ec31c06af703facf3ca9bb0b.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a gorgeous tree. Thanks for sharing.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall color so far has sucked. Maybe this year.

Top Bottom