Italian stone pine new life

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Unfortunately i dont have a before pic, but this pine was at my grandmothers, very neglected and was covered in orange needles, yesterday i cleaned it up and wired it, next week ill work the roots and put it in a new pot mayb more shallow to work the rootsimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know how much live foliage (if any) you removed, but I would give it more time to recover before working the roots.

This video by Ryan Neil has a lot of great information on building a bonsai.

Watch it, and revisit the design of this tree. I would also research the Italian Stone Pine, as I am unsure of the species tolerance for bonsai techniques and how well it backbuds.

Cheers!

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ive seen this tree bonsai at my sensei nursery and its absolutely beautiful

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add location to profile. Also strongly suggest to WAIT before repotting;). Study tree and see branch movement chaotic/ unnatural/distracting and should likely shorten trunk in year or so after recovery.

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is there an update on this? I have some seeds that I'd plant tomorrow, although, the needles looks so long and I'm not sure if it's a nice fit for a bonsai. The photos I've seen online of italian stone pine are all so different and you can tell that they're not even the same species, so, I'm not even sure how a stone pine bonsai look like

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps original poster not happy with responses received.
As for Italian Stone pine some have immature, some have mature needles. Look much different. Hard work makes tree revert to immature needles/look like cedar or spruce. Growing medium to large Bonsai can do well with mature needles and get needle reduction. Not sure of technique. Believe single flush pine;).

Last edited:

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sorry guys! Finally got a new phone! Thanks for all the feed back, the pine is doing well and starting to bud,im goin to start fertilizing it tomorrow, ill also take some pics. I wont work the roots until next year,

Top Bottom