Italian Stone Pine (What to do?)

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hello All,

I purchased this Italian Stone Pine ins 2018. It was sold at the local hardware stone at a Christmas Tree. I planted it in the ground after X'mas of 2018 sine then.

Thinking about taking out some of the branches (red lines) and wire down the 2 left branches.

Love your feedback & advice on what I should do. Thanks.

Italian Stone Pine.jpg

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Tough tree to style, I agree to chop it but I would do it gradually until it haves strong growth in the lower branches. I would keep the first branch and one of the two apex that form that Y shape

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have had 2 of these. They will back bud but you have to let them grow. If not you can graft branches where you want them

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like it's growing good, but I'd be nervous about removing too much green. It seems like they grow pretty slowly. I feel like we need to exercise a lot of patience with these.

Here's mine. I have yet to chop the upper 1/3 of the branches off, although I've got a lot more green.

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Looks like it's growing good, but I'd be nervous about removing too much green. It seems like they grow pretty slowly. I feel like we need to exercise a lot of patience with these.

Here's mine. I have yet to chop the upper 1/3 of the branches off, although I've got a lot more green.

Thanks. Good inspiration. Mine looks like that when I bought it from Home Depot:)

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
They need all the sun and heat you can give them and very free draining soil, Ironically here where they are native not many people like them because the long needles but you can keep them with juvenile just fine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you desire bigger trunk? Grow huge sacrifice apex trunk. Keep pruning to bare minimum. Already too much done.

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Do you desire bigger trunk? Grow huge sacrifice apex trunk. Keep pruning to bare minimum. Already too much done.
I do want a bigger trunk. Will leave it alone. We get lot of Sun and heat here during the summer.

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Can't believe it has been a year. The tree back bud a lot, I had trimmed the top already. Probably need to thin out some of the new growth.

Still looking for a direction here.

Attachments

• IMG_5346.jpg
    IMG_5346.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 25

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice! I've been so nervous to do anything with mine (see above) because I have found very little on the internet from people with long term experience with these. Seeing yours makes me think I can do more with mine without too much fear.

Top Bottom