Italian viewing stone (Palombini)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is this the same stone as Ligurian stone ? I have several Ligurian stones from Chiara Padrini and they look almost identical.

Dave, I don't believe this is considered a true Ligurian stone since it was collected in Maremma. Both regions are fairly close to each other which I suppose would explain their similar characteristics.

Reaction score
The name Palombino (palombini is plural) means something like dove and refers to the colour of the stone. A true palombino stone has a dove-like, greyblue colour. I'm not sure if the finding location has anything to do with the nameing, as the name doesn't refer to a place or location. At least, this is how I understand it.

Both Liguria and Maremma are sweetspots for suiseki people though. I'm very sad I had to cancel my collecting trip over there. You're a very lucky man to have it Sergio, it is a fantastic stone, and Carlo's daiza carving skills are pretty awesome.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes I know! Its incredible how nature translates or mimics itself at vastly different scales. There is a scientific name for this phenomenon that I just can't remember. Love to know myself what mineral(s) it is. When in doubt who you gonna call? Markyscott!! :p
Fractals.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The name Palombino (palombini is plural) means something like dove and refers to the colour of the stone. A true palombino stone has a dove-like, greyblue colour. I'm not sure if the finding location has anything to do with the nameing, as the name doesn't refer to a place or location. At least, this is how I understand it.

Both Liguria and Maremma are sweetspots for suiseki people though. I'm very sad I had to cancel my collecting trip over there. You're a very lucky man to have it Sergio, it is a fantastic stone, and Carlo's daiza carving skills are pretty awesome.

Thanks Maarten. I look forward to the getting this stone. He is good with those daizas yes! LOL I think this is his first time ever sending a stone to the US!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Maarten. I look forward to the getting this stone. He is good with those daizas yes! LOL I think this is his first time ever sending a stone to the US!
What a great viewing stone to have.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great info Christian. So very similar to the way Furuya stones are formed?
I believe so. I don't really know any geology around the Furuya stones, though I seem to recall discussing them with Chris Cochrane when I was living in Virginia, and I believe the process is the same. The results are certainly the same, so while there may be other processes at work for the Furuya stones the proof seems to be in the results.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Think I saw Riddick jumping from ledge to ledge....;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wonderful grain on the carved stand.

Magnificent character/features.....transport-iv, and provocative to the imagination.:cool:

Classy.:)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Think I saw Riddick jumping from ledge to ledge....;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wonderful grain on the carved stand.

Magnificent character/features.....transport-iv, and provocative to the imagination.:cool:

Classy.:)

Crazy how nature sculpts some of these stones into such recognizable shapes! Now I understand why Chinese scholars treasured them and used them as contemplative objects. They really stir the imagination and able to transport you. All from a mere, small and inert piece of rock!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the stone with its finished daiza. Carlo also sent a pic of what the stone looked like when he collected it. Full of dirt and mud and hardly recognizable from the finished product. This stone was not cut and I believe he tries as much as possible not to do so with any of the ones he collects. According to him this is a green stone that's endemic to Maremma where it was found.

He will be shipping it to me in the next couple of days.

Awesomeness. Love the darker stain.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Crazy how nature sculpts some of these stones into such recognizable shapes! Now I understand why Chinese scholars treasured them and used them as contemplative objects. They really stir the imagination and able to transport you. All from a mere, small and inert piece of rock!
Your excellent skills are going to advance exponentially!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No disrespect; the stone is beautiful but the daiza could use some detail and finish work. Sorry :(

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could you expound on your view?;):cool::confused:
Again, I do not wish to be disrespectful in any way. Such a beautiful stone should be displayed perfectly like Serg's trees. There seems to be a lot of areas that need some fine finish work. I will admit, I do have a problem with being over critical of things, especially my own. That's one of the reasons why it has taken me 5 years to get my car to its present state.

IMG_8133_zpsdhfxlwi5.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again, I do not wish to be disrespectful in any way. Such a beautiful stone should be displayed perfectly like Serg's trees. There seems to be a lot of areas that need some fine finish work. I will admit, I do have a problem with being over critical of things, especially my own. That's one of the reasons why it has taken me 5 years to get my car to its present state.

View attachment 159874

That was the one spot/spots, that I would consider a little "rough". Easy fix, relatively, but by rights, you would have to go thru and re-sand all visible areas and then stain again and lacquer her up.....

Not to different from @MACH5 putting his stamp on a sweet piece of material after acquisition...but I see/get your point.;):cool::cool:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 159874

I agree Vin. I did noticed it. I do think it could use some more finishing work. I may try myself to finesse those areas. I have other stones now from Japan that although they are beautiful, a couple of the daizas were disappointing with similar issues. Thinking for those I may go to someone like Sean Smith, Jerry Brasswell etc to make new ones for them.

Reactions: Vin

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes this is an old thread but I do have to comment that his definitely is one of a kind ROCK that rocks!

Thanks for posting and sharing!

Rock II.jpgRock.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 159874

I had Sean Smith a while back refinish the daiza for this piece. He smoothed out the rough spots and re-stained it. Looks really nice now.

Yes this is an old thread but I do have to comment that his definitely is one of a kind ROCK that rocks!

Thanks for posting and sharing!

👍👍👍

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom