Itoiagawa whips

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Does anyone know where I can buy 25-30 Itoiagawa whips?
Thanks.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just bought some two footers from lotus bonsai. They were shimpaku. I don't know if the are itoiagawa though. You could ask them. Only place I could find them that big. Looking to try some Phoenix grafts.
http://www.lotusbonsai.com/

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bob,

I am also looking for some Itoigawa...if you find a good source, please let me know. I plan on using it to graft on my Hollywood Juniper. Thanks!!!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bob, there's a wholesale grower in Modesto, Hollandia Nursery, that used to have a lot of shimpakus for cheap. I don't see it listed on their website lately though. I got a few untrained shimpakus in 5 gallon size from them for pretty cheap, but that was years ago though. We are lucky in California in that we have a lot of big growers for almost everything. Our old club used to make deals with them and go pick out 30-40 trees at wholesale prices for our study group even though we were not a business. Many old timers have connections with the wholesale growers, because most of the growers were Japanese too, but the younger crowd nowadays is probably not using this resource well.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I know a bunch of people growing shimpaku just not for sure itoiagawa and I need to be sure they are. I know Brent will/may have them in May but I need them much sooner, as they're to be used for grafting.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bob, do you know how to get ahold of John Kirby, I'd bet he has some. I will check on my end to see if he has some, and contact info. Probably over the next week.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John Kirby is on the bonsai study group forum quite frequently. And I think you may be right about him having them....or at least knowing where to get them.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Bob, do you know how to get ahold of John Kirby, I'd bet he has some. I will check on my end to see if he has some, and contact info. Probably over the next week.

I don't know how to get ahold of him. I'd appreciate your checking, thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Id love to get a large amount to start growing. We have "kishu" only right now. I like the finer foliage of the itoigawa, but only have a few cuttings from my main tree I got from Brent like 10 years or so ago, but only made cuttings last year. Let us know if you get a source, once you get what you need , of course. Id love to get some as well to grow out. Good luck!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bob, I have set the wheels in motion, hopefully one of us will contact you with info.

Top Bottom