Itoigawa Juniper Shohin Progression

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is a shohin itoigawa juniper that I’ve been working on for about a year and a half now. Feel free to offer any advice or critiques as I document this tree’s progression.

Here’s the tree basically as purchased; in March 2020 I repotted from a nursery container to this round Sam Miller. Over potted a bit for development.
D876010B-A4C4-4EB2-8651-DCDC92B8CFA7.png
D4F0508B-EC31-4B86-9696-3EFE9AAB27BB.jpeg

In 2020 I allowed the tree to grow freely to recover from the repot. I wired it in summer 2020, light prune spring 2021, and then let it grow freely until this weekend - July 2021. Here’s the tree before the work:
3B39293A-DEBF-4D2B-A2E3-B5802AFA7EBB.jpeg

And after wire removal and significant pruning, and re-wiring on just a few branches:
A1E1F11F-1B77-4074-8087-66939F2A6FEE.jpeg

This is a true shohin at 7” from the rim of the pot. I’m planning to repot spring 2022 into something more suitable. Open to suggestions…

I was getting a little frustrated with this tree because I’m finding it really challenging to create a good image with such a small tree. But after seeing the photos, maybe it’s not doing so bad for just 18 months. Open to any critiques on how to improve!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a shohin itoigawa juniper that I’ve been working on for about a year and a half now. Feel free to offer any advice or critiques as I document this tree’s progression.

Here’s the tree basically as purchased; in March 2020 I repotted from a nursery container to this round Sam Miller. Over potted a bit for development.
View attachment 388190
View attachment 388191

In 2020 I allowed the tree to grow freely to recover from the repot. I wired it in summer 2020, light prune spring 2021, and then let it grow freely until this weekend - July 2021. Here’s the tree before the work:
View attachment 388192

And after wire removal and significant pruning, and re-wiring on just a few branches:
View attachment 388193

This is a true shohin at 7” from the rim of the pot. I’m planning to repot spring 2022 into something more suitable. Open to suggestions…

I was getting a little frustrated with this tree because I’m finding it really challenging to create a good image with such a small tree. But after seeing the photos, maybe it’s not doing so bad for just 18 months. Open to any critiques on how to improve!
It’s hard to see where the branches are laid out. Will you snap some photos from eye level? Maybe from several fronts?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s hard to see where the branches are laid out. Will you snap some photos from eye level? Maybe from several fronts?

Yeah, I think that might be part of the problem. Too much going on in a such a small little package. I’ll snap some more photos from the other angles.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love Sam Miller pots,is that your future angle for last image? My itoigawa track record isn’t so hot so I can’t critique other than nice tree , looking forward to its progression

Thanks! I love Sam’s pots too. I have collected a few of them and they are some of my favorites!

I think that is a rough estimate of the angle, but I also think it needs to lean more to the right.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
TJ! This is a great tree. It’s right there it just needs some serious wiring. Here’s how I’d handle it if it were mine. @Ruddigger and @LanceMac10 are spot on in my opinion with the front. Best movement in trunk and branch placement. I’d Jin that top left branch section and have the movement of the tree go to the right. Wire everything down and out and make sure it all comes off the trunk and about the same angle. I would also recommend you go through and detail wire all the little stuff. Like everything. It’ll really make for a pleasing image and set those little tertiary branches up to harden off in the optimal position. This is all just my 2 cents but I’m sure you’ll make something dope of it regardless!
DCF3B00B-1C87-4E6F-B2AD-DDA95C311941.jpeg

Last edited:

weetree3

Yamadori
Reaction score

View attachment 388190
View attachment 388191

View attachment 388192

View attachment 388193

Where did you find such a great tree? Outstanding potential.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
TJ! This is a great tree. It’s right there it just needs some serious wiring. Here’s how I’d handle it if it were mine. @Ruddigger and @LanceMac10 are spot on in my opinion with the front. Best movement in trunk and branch placement. I’d Jin that top left branch section and have the movement of the tree go to the right. Wire everything down and out and make sure it all comes off the trunk and about the same angle. I would also recommend you go through and detail wire all the little stuff. Like everything. It’ll really make for a pleasing image and set those little tertiary branches up to harden off in the optimal position. This is all just my 2 cents but I’m sure you’ll make something dope of it regardless!
View attachment 388304

Thanks a ton, Danny! This is super helpful! I had been staring at it so much and so often that I just hadn’t really seen it this way, but now I see it clearly!

So glad I posted this.

Thanks everyone!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks a ton, Danny! This is super helpful! I had been staring at it so much and so often that I just hadn’t really seen it this way, but now I see it clearly!

So glad I posted this.

Thanks everyone!
Sweet! Only other thing I’d say is the foliage in the apex looks very young. You may not be able to achieve the image or shape you’d like with those little shoots at the moment. In another year though, I bet they are fully ready. Everything else looks primed for success though. I typically use 1mm aluminum for super soft juniper foliage as it’s is so easy to wrk with and will hold that stuff just fine. It can be tedious but it is such good practice as great care has to be taken with the soft stuff.

these ones.
25DD2D78-06CD-4493-BB8D-77E1C8531181.jpeg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 388726

Swank! Looks the s#&t!!

Maybe time for some pot shopping?
View attachment 388727

Yes! I was just thinking about pots for this yesterday. What would you recommend, Lance?

I have another Sam Miller round that is about the same width, but about 1/3 shallower. And it is unglazed grey.

Also have a couple production Japanese unglazed ovals that should be about the right size, but they’re nothing special…

Top Bottom