Itoigawa Juniper Shohin Progression

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This juniper gained significant density and vigor this spring! I decided it is a good time to work on it. The tree had strong runners extending all over the tree:
View attachment 443654

I started by removing all wire because it was biting in, severely in places. Here is the tree sans wire:
View attachment 443655

Next I pruned the tree. I removed the runners and cleaned up the bottoms of the pads. I added one piece of wire in the back of the tree. And back on the bench!
View attachment 443656
It really is a great little tree TJ. But I still can’t help but feeling like you’re not going far enough with the styling! Bjorn just released an update video on a small shohin Juniper. It reminds me quite a bit of what I think you could do with yours. Dive in bro!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It really is a great little tree TJ. But I still can’t help but feeling like you’re not going far enough with the styling! Bjorn just released an update video on a small shohin Juniper. It reminds me quite a bit of what I think you could do with yours. Dive in bro!

Danny, I appreciate your feedback as always! I actually just watched that video. The really challenging thing about this tree is how small it is. The tree in Bjorns video was probably at least twice as tall as this tree! Makes it really tough to achieve the definition.

Now that I’m done making excuses, I will have to try to up my game and do it more justice next time I work on it!

My plan is to continue compacting the foliage this summer with pruning and then I will re-wire it later this year.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I
Danny, I appreciate your feedback as always! I actually just watched that video. The really challenging thing about this tree is how small it is. The tree in Bjorns video was probably at least twice as tall as this tree! Makes it really tough to achieve the definition.

Now that I’m done making excuses, I will have to try to up my game and do it more justice next time I work on it!

My plan is to continue compacting the foliage this summer with pruning and then I will re-wire it later this year.
Its def not bad work Tj! I just think there is more in there. It could be I’m think of a more refined look, but it could also be that this tree does not need that.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I

Its def not bad work Tj! I just think there is more in there. It could be I’m think of a more refined look, but it could also be that this tree does not need that.

No, I think you’re totally right. It’s a really interesting tree with a lot of potential. I don’t think I’ve maximized yet what the tree can be! But I’m having a damn good time trying! :)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently had the opportunity to have one of my trees analyzed by professional Jennifer Price at the Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society October meeting. I decided to bring this tree! I gave a brief history of the tree and mentioned that it was designed in collaboration with my good friend Danny Hart, aka @Hartinez

Jennifer was tremendously complimentary of the tree. I believe she mentioned that it would fit nicely in her carry-on luggage for her trip home :)

For her analysis, Jennifer suggested compacting the left side foliage, and embracing the length on the right. This is consistent with Danny’s original virtual. She also mentioned a very slight tilt to the right to give the tree and trunkline a more dynamic design. Finally, she suggested allowing the apex to extend in height very slightly, maybe a half an inch.

I am so thankful to both Danny and Jennifer for their help on this tree! Looking forward to putting these ideas into action next year. It is just now reverting back to scale foliage from juvenile after the heavy work, so I haven’t really done any work on it since the updates earlier in this thread.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Evening light

00FBF1EE-2FD5-44C4-AB8D-B07E92DD0C90.jpeg

I didn’t do much work on this tree last year as it was throwing a ton of juvenile foliage and I just wanted to get it to calm down a little bit. This year the new growth is all scale, so I am planning to get it spiffed up sometime this spring.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was feeling inspired by the juniper post that @yenling83 posted the other day. So I pulled up the drawing that @Hartinez did for this little tree awhile back and got to work!

Here’s Danny’s drawing for the tree:
7E181D38-B888-4F62-9B8A-9B5F1C487BE6.jpeg

And here’s the tree after recent work:
E8AA01A5-D846-4F76-AF45-30ABF2C2A204.jpeg

Next I am going to work on expanding and cleaning up the shari! 🤠

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I was feeling inspired by the juniper post that @yenling83 posted the other day. So I pulled up the drawing that @Hartinez did for this little tree awhile back and got to work!

Here’s Danny’s drawing for the tree:
View attachment 499563

And here’s the tree after recent work:
View attachment 499564

Next I am going to work on expanding and cleaning up the shari! 🤠
Great work on the progression of this tree!!! You've taken it along way, looks awesome!!!

Top Bottom