Itoigawa juniper Stock

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian, awesome tree. Did you see this version in the beginning at the time of first styling or did you change plans later on? Great tree.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Half the fun is looking for just the right pot! I'm leaning toward a bag-shape old Chinese.
Something like this pot; this one is too shallow, and I don't want the foot front & center; the tree needs more stability.
So I keep looking, it's fine by me!

I would actually lean towards a glazed pot for this tree. I like your comments about dimensions, etc, but I think this tree is not masculine enough to carry off a formal unglazed pot. This is a lady tree :)

I will look for a pot for you. Something with a drippy informal textured glaze that matches the dimensions and general shape and size you were sharing.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Did you see this version in the beginning at the time of first styling or did you change plans later on?
Not really. I bought this one from Brent to have the cultivar, and was pleasantly surprised by the trunk movement. I think the final front was always my favorite angle, but when I did the initial styling with Peter Warren, I think he saw a semi-cascade. 2011:
IMG_7342.JPG
I just couldn't see it with the front I liked, 2012:
IMG_7343.JPG
So I removed and jinned the cascading branch and added some shari, 2013:
IMG_7344.JPG
And pulled the primary branches down sharply, 2014:
IMG_7345.JPG
Then let it soften and widen, 2016:
IMG_6968.JPG
I would actually lean towards a glazed pot for this tree. I like your comments about dimensions, etc, but I think this tree is not masculine enough to carry off a formal unglazed pot. This is a lady tree :)

I will look for a pot for you. Something with a drippy informal textured glaze that matches the dimensions and general shape and size you were sharing.
I'd be curious to see what you have in mind. I'm pretty traditional on matching pots to trees, but did actually consider this vintage Chinese yellow as an option. The photo is lacking, but in person the green foliage really pops on top of the aged yellow.
IMG_6611.JPG

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Man, this tree has really hit it's stride. If you had posted the first image of the semi cascade by itself, I would never have believed it was the same tree.. My opinion on the future pot choice...stay traditional, just like the styling of the tree. An unglazed oval or smaller rectangle or square with soft corners would look good I think.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
stay traditional

This......

As for the "vintage Chinese yellow", and I'm trying to learn, doesn't it seem too large "visually"? I realize it's in front of the current pot, so it's size is a bit exaggerated, but it seems "too much".....
Very nice, classy tree!:cool:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This......

As for the "vintage Chinese yellow", and I'm trying to learn, doesn't it seem too large "visually"? I realize it's in front of the current pot, so it's size is a bit exaggerated, but it seems "too much".....
Very nice, classy tree!:cool:
I agree, and will likely stay traditional (bag shape oval or similar), but it's fun to consider other options.

As for scale, if the tree was in the yellow pot, the canopy spread at the bottom is actually wider than the yellow pot, so it works, but its a bit deep and too square-sided for this tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Following your own instincts is often the best direction and Brian has proved it so.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just playing with ideas... Some of the virts look weird because the pot was photoed under different lighting. Additionally I am using the black background, but you can imagine the tree/pot combo would look much different if you had it on a tatami or against a lighter background.

Green. Very peaceful. Works really well with the moss.
bripot1.jpg

Much stronger. Yellow to contrast, red/brown to pick up the live veins.
bripot2.jpg

Playing with a different shape and red to pick up the live vein and grey to pick up the deadwood. It would be a lot more subtle under natural lighting. Something about this pot draws me... when I look at the tree the pot glaze (out of the corner of my eye) looks like a landscape. It may be too strong and distracting though.
bripot3.jpg

These are all round/oval pots. I personally would never put this tree in a rectangle it is way too informal.

Last edited:

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone see a bonsai in that bush?
The movement in the trunk makes future refinement easy to plot.
Itoigawa.jpg

Itoigawa%2010%20(3).JPG

Itoigawa%2010%20(2).JPG

Itoigawa%2010%20(1).JPG

Comments, criticisms and virts welcome...

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Just playing with ideas... Some of the virts look weird because the pot was photoed under different lighting. Additionally I am using the black background, but you can imagine the tree/pot combo would look much different if you had it on a tatami or against a lighter background.

View attachment 120279

View attachment 120340

Playing with a different shape and red to pick up the live vein and grey to pick up the deadwood. It would be a lot more subtle under natural lighting. Something about this pot draws me... when I look at the tree the pot glaze (out of the corner of my eye) looks like a landscape. It may be too strong and distracting though.
View attachment 120341

These are all round/oval pots. I personally would never put this tree in a rectangle it is way too informal.
Nice

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Bonsai Nut thanks for the virts. The fluted-side oval shape would work nicely for this one...maybe a Bigei.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 120279

View attachment 120340

View attachment 120341

I think I'd put it on the other side of the oval. The key branch, the long cascading branch is on the left. Therefore, the tree should be potted to the right.

(Sorry... there I go with those "rules" again!)

Actually, I rather like the current pot!

Top Bottom