Itoigawa juniper

EkuEky

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently got 2 itogiwa juniper from bonsaiplaza and was wondering if I should repot them now and start styling them and if so how should I go about styling them as I'm completely new to that, these are my juniper and the pots I got. Sorry about the background of the garden, just previous tenants left quite a bit of mess so we are cleaning it all up. Any help will be valued extremely thank you :)))252094 252092252093

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would let them grow out for a couple years. There's not much to style at the moment....unless you are going to mame sized? Which would required new pots as the ones you have are to big.

EkuEky

Seedling
Reaction score
I would let them grow out for a couple years. There's not much to style at the moment....unless you are going to mame sized? Which would required new pots as the ones you have are to big.
I was gonna go for a big bonsai with it over time so I'll make sure to let them grow like you said, thank you :))) gonna make em huge xD

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was gonna go for a big bonsai with it over time so I'll make sure to let them grow like you said, thank you :))) gonna make em huge xD

Put them in the ground next spring.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

You will never get a big bonsai by planting it in those pots. Take @Nybonsai12 advice and plant in the ground in a spot that gets full sun. Let it grow untouched. The more foliage the on the tree will allow the trunk to thicken up quicker. Once it gets to the size you are thinking of then pull it out from the ground. Keep in mind they are slow growers so it could be years possibly over a decade in the ground. If you are really set on a bigger tree find a bigger tree from the start.

EkuEky

Seedling
Reaction score
You will never get a big bonsai by planting it in those pots. Take @Nybonsai12 advice and plant in the ground in a spot that gets full sun. Let it grow untouched. The more foliage the on the tree will allow the trunk to thicken up quicker. Once it gets to the size you are thinking of then pull it out from the ground. Keep in mind they are slow growers so it could be years possibly over a decade in the ground. If you are really set on a bigger tree find a bigger tree from the start.
Will do I'm happy waiting for em to get big however I will still have to make like a tray for them cause my area doesn't actually have like proper soil based gardens or anything so I'll make a deep tray and put em in one each

EkuEky

Seedling
Reaction score
Put them in the ground next spring.
Will do thank ye for ya advice also I saw your post of your juniper its amazing still can't believe how quick they grow

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Will do thank ye for ya advice also I saw your post of your juniper its amazing still can't believe how quick they grow
If you are planting them in the ground, you can also go ahead and plant them in the Fall.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No reason for not planting them now. Bonsai Plaza = Maarten Verhoeven - Netherlands right?
You will have a fairly long road ahead of you. In your climate they grow less fast than you might want..

Top Bottom