Itoigawa shimpaku...mame size

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Healthy! I am hoping to get a photo soon of the 26 we spoke of. Of course they are just little but there is some Itoigawa in the mix :) You should be pleased with this one and even more with the ease of care!

Grimmy
Love the foliage on it! It really put on a lot of new growth while in my care. You will also be pleased then having some of them in the mix. Hope you get a photo soon of your new material. And wish you success and enjoyment from them.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Grimmy. Soon to be published in Italian, I understand.

Darlene, I like your tree, but I'm not seeing a front that grabs me yet. Don't be afraid to tilt the pot too. In this case, it might help identify a convincing trunk line. Also, be careful not to bind up the foliage tufts like it appears in the upper branch.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Grimmy. Soon to be published in Italian, I understand.

Darlene, I like your tree, but I'm not seeing a front that grabs me yet. Don't be afraid to tilt the pot too. In this case, it might help identify a convincing trunk line. Also, be careful not to bind up the foliage tufts like it appears in the upper branch.
Thanks Brian...never thought of the tilt, right now just enjoying it thriving in my care and the bit of movement. As to the tufts...it came that way. Should I unbind them then? Tilted a bit...but I get what your saying. Thanks again Brian! Interesting read as well...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks it definitely caught my eye...

The juniper I had for the contest was a blue rug maybe...I forget. I got pieces of it in my finger. And it was horrid clearing up. But, yes...when I touched it I had skin issues. But, having it in my finger like a thorn only contributed to a nasty swollen, seeping mess. It would clear up only to break open and start all over again. I've not dealt with shimpaku though...

In the process of a purchase...just waiting for final information to send payment. But, thanks...yes...this little guy has me at least giving it a shot. Within my price range of willing to give it a go.
It is called Juniper poisening. It's one of those things you have to live with if you want to do Junipers as bonsai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice curve to the trunk. Mind if I ask where you got it?
No problem at all...from BlueRiver Bonsai/Scott Lee off of Facebook. He sells on the auctions...but I had personally asked him about a twisted trunk. He shared a few photos in the price range. Ones have mentioned him here before. But one on a Facebook group tagged him when I mentioned an itch for new material.

And thanks for the compliment.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is called Juniper poisening. It's one of those things you have to live with if you want to do Junipers as bonsai.
Odd...never heard of it. Still new though to all conifers basically. Though I know some are quite hardy in my location. Sticking with those for now. I'll look into that more...sounds intriguing and something I would like to hear more about.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Tilting the tree can also help solving some design problem.
Like on your first pictures left and right are on the same hight. I will look better if there is a difference. Also on your first pictures the triangle the foliage forms is kinda same length on every side. This is generally not an exciting image.
So tilting it a bit and get a bit more movement/flow with branchplacement wil make it soon look better.

It's a nice tree

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks...I reckon my mind never went further than allowing it to grow out and develop something to work from. But now that it's been brought out it will give me something to chew on.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nice little tree! I would think about removing one of the two lower branches eventually.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
great little tree; it will look even better as it starts to fill in. Leave the jin as is for now, always make changes as you see fit later.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
great little tree; it will look even better as it starts to fill in. Leave the jin as is for now, always make changes as you see fit later.

Thanks...that was what I was advised to do early on. Wise thought process...thanks for also sharing it in case I hadn't heard it. Very good advice...thanks again! Yes...it needs to just fill in. I am not making any rash decisions other than allowing it to continue to fill in at this point.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks...that was what I was advised to do early on. Wise thought process...thanks for also sharing it in case I hadn't heard it. Very good advice...thanks again! Yes...it needs to just fill in. I am not making any rash decisions other than allowing it to continue to fill in at this point.
Very wise decision.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cute. But I think you might have wanted to wire before the repot... You'll have to make sure it doesn't hurt the new roots as you wire this one.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cute. But I think you might have wanted to wire before the repot... You'll have to make sure it doesn't hurt the new roots as you wire this one.
Oh, I reckon you we're right...should I skip wiring this year...focusing more on horticulture/health then?

My intentions were to leave old wire on. I should have looked closer at it. It was fine come winter,even a couple weeks ago...but, it seems to look as if it was biting in or starting to. After the repot is when I noticed this...which surprised me.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If the tree were mine I would be more concerned in getting the tree to develop secondary branching. Much of the image you have at this point is provided by primary growth like you would find at the end of a branch on a larger tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If the tree were mine I would be more concerned in getting the tree to develop secondary branching. Much of the image you have at this point is provided by primary growth like you would find at the end of a branch on a larger tree.

I'm listening...I purchased this tree with full intent of growing it out. But not familiar with what needs done in order to achieve that.

Top Bottom