Itoigawa shimpaku...mame size

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both directions look good, everyone has their own taste which is the interesting thing when styling a tree. Always more than one option. In any case I like the chosen view of both virts, shows good movement and nice deadwood. Pretty powerful for a mini

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Both directions look good, everyone has their own taste which is the interesting thing when styling a tree. Always more than one option. In any case I like the chosen view of both virts, shows good movement and nice deadwood. Pretty powerful for a mini

Thanks...right now...will let it grow...then chase back those runners. Will wire in the fall. As directed by MRB.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Still leaning toward's MRB's photo. Even though I tweaked it. I think I added to much foliage. It looks better compacted. So putting the two comparisons together...I think MRB's photo still may balance it more. Putting them together here so I can get a visual of the two side by side.
shimpaku tweaked MRB photo.jpg shimpaku MRB's virtual.jpg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still leaning toward's MRB's photo. Even though I tweaked it. I think I added to much foliage. It looks better compacted. So putting the two comparisons together...I think MRB's photo still may balance it more. Putting them together here so I can get a visual of the two side by side.
View attachment 98957 View attachment 98958
Looking good! Very cool pot.
If I went with the top pic, I would lean it down to the right more.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking good! Very cool pot.
If I went with the top pic, I would lean it down to the right more.
Good thought process...leaning it down more to the right.

Thanks...loved the pot...though, still unsure if it's right for this tree. The rough texture to the base of the tree...reminds me of the pot texture though. Which is why I made the purchase. Thinking Colin Lewis had bid on the pot. And I sent him a message asking if he had an intended tree for it. For...I respect him,and couldn't see bidding agaisnt him. Not with how he opened the door to my grasping wiring with his video...and he didn't and stepped off the auction to allow me to bid. Wishing me well. Pretty sure that this is that pot.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The main twisted trunk is 3/4" thick...the base is 1.22" at base. So just shy of 1 1/4" at base. (right? @GrimLore)

Yes! And honest that little tilt can be done after it grows out. I think you might find a rectangular pot will work better if you do that though. Lost of possabilites and choices over the coming years for certain!

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste how is this tree doing now?
Mourning doves nest on the bench this was on. Knocked it over...wired into the pot...it stayed in its pot...substrate fell out. In full sun...I watched it die a slow death...because juniper holds green a long while. I was hopeful to keep a branch to redevelop. That...wasn't the case.

Thanks for your interest.. but its gone. I now tie my pots down. Lesson learned.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mourning doves nest on the bench this was on. Knocked it over...wired into the pot...it stayed in its pot...substrate fell out. In full sun...I watched it die a slow death...because juniper holds green a long while. I was hopeful to keep a branch to redevelop. That...wasn't the case.

Thanks for your interest.. but its gone. I now tie my pots down. Lesson learned.
Sorry to hear that.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks...my experience of watching it die a slow death. Was the nail in the coffin for me...I no longer have any desire to have conifer. Larch I pondered...but...I can just admire others photos. I'm good with that.
I find it hard if if not unreasonable for anyone to abandon a major component of bonsai culture simply because "they" are doing something wrong and refuse to identify that problem. Rather than correct that issue they walk away and settel for a lesser solution. I recently discovered whan all of a sudden I started losing trees, good trees that the problem was two fold: One was the use of sand that was too fine and the other was the use of a screen cut for the drain holes that happened to be of the same dimension as the sand I was using. what was happening was the sand was washing out of the soil and settling iinto the holes in the screen effectively enough that the holes in the bottom of the pot of a sudden refused to drain. A few trees drown because of this.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I find it hard if if not unreasonable for anyone to abandon a major component of bonsai culture simply because "they" are doing something wrong and refuse to identify that problem. Rather than correct that issue they walk away and settel for a lesser solution. I recently discovered whan all of a sudden I started losing trees, good trees that the problem was two fold: One was the use of sand that was too fine and the other was the use of a screen cut for the drain holes that happened to be of the same dimension as the sand I was using. what was happening was the sand was washing out of the soil and settling iinto the holes in the screen effectively enough that the holes in the bottom of the pot of a sudden refused to drain. A few trees drown because of this.

I'm a stubborn redhead... but honestly I'm more of a deciduous gal. Always was...this was an experiment. I just don't care to have something on my bench which behave as it does. That's on me. I'm not giving up the hobby Vance. But from months of an infection with a juniper the cause...then this. (Foliage softer so not an issue getting under ones fingernails I gave this cultivar a shot.) I prefer stacking the deck in my favor...I've always had that outlook. I don't feel a loss when I look over my 30 trees in my collection. I feel content.

Hate hearing you lost any trees. Glad you figured the issue out.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Vance Wood ... you deserve a smirk on your face... I don't wish to mess with juniper. But I did reach out to one about neagari larch. I'm to check back in May...your post...made me reach out to the one. I just don't want another juniper. Maybe one day...one really speaks to me.. But at this time...I have no desire with that species.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is really only one species of Juniper worth fooling around with and that would be the Chinese Junipers, the Shimpakus in particular: Itowigawa, Kishu and a couple of others.

Top Bottom