It's an addiction...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 163059

Thanks for offering us a glimps of that maple @Adair M ! No, I can't say I have ever seen it before.

So can a shohin/mame...be shown alone in a say...3 point display or always needing a grand set up such as what you showed with the shohin?
There’s lots of ways to show Shohin. The most traditional is the box stand.

The reason they’re shown in groups is they’re small, and there’s not enough elements to hold your attention for very long. By grouping them together, you can play with things like movement, Leaf variations, pots, little stands, flowers, fruit, etc.

So, “showing Shohin” evolved into a game of more than just showing the trees, the “showing” aspect has become a big part of Shohin.

Shohin are really never shown alone. Three part display with two trees and an accent (or a scroll), yes. There are several variations on the “box” stands. Some, like mine, are designed for 5 trees. Others for 4, the “half moon” style for 2 and an accent.

Bill Valavanis posted all the trees and displays of the National Shohin Show in a blog. If I can find the link, I’ll post it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The “off the box” tree can be of any style. It should have movement pointing back to the box, so I suppose a formal Upright would be less suitable.

If it’s a cascade or semi-cascade (like mine) it should be elevated. Tall root stands are popular for this, as are tall slim rectangular stands.

Informal uprights and slants would go on a regular bonsai table or slab.

The accent should complement both the box stand and the “off box” tree, but especially the off box tree. Since it’s “out there” on it’s own, the accent helps to create that unequal triangle that so attracts the eye.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It would be kinda cool to make one then treat it to be out doors and permanent display in the back year - hmmmm

I suppose you could make one out of teak that would stand up to the weather better. Of course, you couldn’t have the little stands in the stand! Those are used for a couple of reasons 1) they’re pretty 2) using them allows you to adjust the apparent height of each tree in the stand to reinforce the feeling of movement.

If you notice in my display, the middle row had two straight trunked trees! Ideally, they should be on the bottom. But the azalea with the Roy pot and heavy trunk needed to be on the bottom because of its visual weight. And then, that directed the placement of all the other trees.

And then to get the heights to look right, you use the little stands to adjust the heights.

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I suppose you could make one out of teak that would stand up to the weather better. Of course, you couldn’t have the little stands in the stand! Those are used for a couple of reasons 1) they’re pretty 2) using them allows you to adjust the apparent height of each tree in the stand to reinforce the feeling of movement.

If you notice in my display, the middle row had two straight trunked trees! Ideally, they should be on the bottom. But the azalea with the Roy pot and heavy trunk needed to be on the bottom because of its visual weight. And then, that directed the placement of all the other trees.

I think cedar should work I was thinking like a small Japanese maple or something in like an outside tea house in sun shade spot

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When you feel better, I want you to really look at the trees. Do not get stuck on the word "cascade" it is a misnomer word used to describe a certain style of stand. We say 'cascade stand' to mean a tall thin stand used to display off center trees in the cascade, semi cascade, slanting form.

You will see that the trees in your link as well as the ones posted all conform to the cascade, semi cascade, slanting form. Not upright, and not in rectangular pots, or oval for that matter.

Would you display an upright tree in a rectangular or oval pot on a stand like this? Of course not, and for the same reason you wouldn't do it to a root stand. It holds the same rules, just a different shape.
View attachment 159443
Good points all around...it was just one of my nicer trees which the pot size fit. Will look onto a proper stand at some point. But valuable information in this thread. Thanks for the good source of information and time you shares.

Top Bottom