It's an addiction...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The excellent book, "The Modern Bonsai" is a gallery of shohin pieces; roughly arranged by species, including a few formal displays, kousa, and finishing with some treasured pots. The green ruler in each photo shows 10 cm; marked off in 2 cm increments, so it provides good scale. Nearly every photo affirms Al's discussion on using root stands. One composition deviated a little and it worked. Another deviated a lot, and it didn't work; can you spot them? Beautiful displays, enjoy.
View attachment 159464 View attachment 159465 View attachment 159466 View attachment 159467 View attachment 159468 View attachment 159469
Brian, who was the author of the book? Wouldn't mind locating one.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Firstly, heartfelt "thank you very much" goes to all bonsai educated people for such an educational and interesting discussion!
... ... One composition deviated a little and it worked. Another deviated a lot, and it didn't work; can you spot them?... ...
I cannot.
I simply try to "incorporate" all this knowledge for the moment....
Could you please show the two deviation cases along with the reasoning behind that.
Thank you!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The excellent book, "The Modern Bonsai" is a gallery of shohin pieces; roughly arranged by species, including a few formal displays, kousa, and finishing with some treasured pots. The green ruler in each photo shows 10 cm; marked off in 2 cm increments, so it provides good scale. Nearly every photo affirms Al's discussion on using root stands. One composition deviated a little and it worked. Another deviated a lot, and it didn't work; can you spot them? Beautiful displays, enjoy.
View attachment 159464 View attachment 159465 View attachment 159466 View attachment 159467 View attachment 159468 View attachment 159469
I dunno. I think the 1st is a little odd, while the 4th is the oddest. Did I pick out the right ones?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have that book also. It is a good book but for the price there are much better. It is out of print and was available thru Stone Lantern about twelve years ago. It can be had for a song but don't get burnt, the gafu books are available on ebay and much better in photography and the actual composition of displays.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have that book also. It is a good book but for the price there are much better. It is out of print and was available thru Stone Lantern about twelve years ago. It can be had for a song but don't get burnt, the gafu books are available on ebay and much better in photography and the actual composition of displays.
I pondered one...but heard not to bother with numbers under 70 I think it was.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is first printing 2003. I wasn't far off. 14 years.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well...unless you have the FIRST PRINTING! Very cool...that trumps the number I reckon. Was just told the trees are better in the books found later in print...no?
Don't know, never seen later printing. Maybe @Brian Van Fleet can tell us when his is.

If there is later printing, I highly doubt that that all the trees in it would be the same. I have a few Kokufu books and have never seen the trees in other editions.

Now if you mean the photography got better, then that might just be possible with better and higher megapixel cameras, although the Japanese have always outpaced us on photo reproductions in books and magazines by decades.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A synopsis of Shohin books.

Gafu Ten
Prestigious exhibit of fine Japanese Shohin Bonsai
Hosted by All Japan Shohin Bonsai. Book is 7.5 x 10 inches and about 1/2 thick with hard cover in simulated leather.
Right to left traditional Japanese formatt.

No pot photos except those the trees are in. But the trees are photographed in a spacious view showing the whole composition which I appreciate.
About $80.00 plus shipping unless you know someone who travels to Japan yearly and brings me pots and books from Japan. Well worth the price if you are a display freak.

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't know, never seen later printing. Maybe @Brian Van Fleet can tell us when his is.

If there is later printing, I highly doubt that that all the trees in it would be the same. I have a few Kokufu books and have never seen the trees in other editions.

Now if you mean the photography got better, then that might just be possible with better and higher megapixel cameras, although the Japanese have always outpaced us on photo reproductions in books and magazines by decades.
I'm confused with Kokufu...sorry. Not to buy Kokufu earlier than 70's.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Modern Bonsai
Paperback, about 9 x 12 inches. good photos and pictures of pots and accents as well as all the trees. I paid about $50.00 at a shohin bonsai convention for mine. A good picture book if you can find it.

DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm confused with Kokufu...sorry. Not to buy Kokufu earlier than 70's.
ahhh you have been deceived by an unscrupulous person wishing to have the best for himself. Some of the best trees to come out of Japan are from this period. It is cool to see the trees from then and see how they have progressed. In some ways bonsai has taken steps backward as the trees then were naked and afraid. Now they are so slick all the magic has been removed from them.....

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best
From The All Japan Shohin-Bonsai Association
large format book in 8.5 x 11 inches. About 5/8 inch thick glossy paper. Pots are intermixed with the trees and the pots are from some of the most famous potters in Japan. I paid $80.00 for this one at one of the shohin conventions here. This is a very hard book to find. There is no english in the book except for the translation on each tree or pot. As far as end pages, all Japanese, can't even find an ISBN no. Good luck, but finest shohin book on God's green earth.

DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG

Just look at these three Tofukuji's and try not to drool on the screen please!
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG

Top Bottom