It's getting chilly and Fall colors are beginning to pop!

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Procrastinating Ginkgo. Last year I missed it altogether. Yellow leaves all in tact before work. On the ground when I got home, lol. I was able to get a few successful cuttings this year. So I'm heading my bets.

Attachments

• 20221115_101327.jpg
    20221115_101327.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 14

Wren73

Seed
Reaction score
Dawn Redwood almost done.
I'm so new at this and my husband bought this for me for my birthday! I have two pots one with a "grove" of six about 3 years old and one large bonsai about 15 yrs old. They didn't water them well when they came in, smh! and the big one lost all of its leaves but started budding out again. I'm worried this will cause problems since it was in September and so near fall going into it's dormant period. I was worried about the grove set until I saw yours! LOL mine look exactly like that! Thank goodness. I have stressed over these babies, talking to them and everything LOL Now I just have to figure out where to keep them for their dormancy. Do I keep them inside with my orchid in a sunny window or do I put them in the dark garage or keep them outside on the patio in the corner? I'm lost! Any advice I can get will help. I have read both keep them inside and outside. I live in Central Alabama. Doesn't get below freezing too often but has once already this year. I have them on a cart which I have been taking in at night, putting them back out in the morning to water.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm so new at this and my husband bought this for me for my birthday! I have two pots one with a "grove" of six about 3 years old and one large bonsai about 15 yrs old. They didn't water them well when they came in, smh! and the big one lost all of its leaves but started budding out again. I'm worried this will cause problems since it was in September and so near fall going into it's dormant period. I was worried about the grove set until I saw yours! LOL mine look exactly like that! Thank goodness. I have stressed over these babies, talking to them and everything LOL Now I just have to figure out where to keep them for their dormancy. Do I keep them inside with my orchid in a sunny window or do I put them in the dark garage or keep them outside on the patio in the corner? I'm lost! Any advice I can get will help. I have read both keep them inside and outside. I live in Central Alabama. Doesn't get below freezing too often but has once already this year. I have them on a cart which I have been taking in at night, putting them back out in the morning to water.
100% outside year round… Easy Peezy
I think dawn redwood are hardy to USDA zone four… That’s -30°F. You’re probably zone eight with lows typically in the teens. Your trees will have no problem at all handling winter in your location. In fact, I’ll bet they have a harder time during the summer, meaning, they will need lots of water, and maybe even some shade during the hottest weather. They grow very well in colder climates for what it’s worth. Good luck with them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep it outside on the ground, mulched in & out of the wind. @Dav4 is correct DRW is hardy in zones 4-8.

Wren73

Seed
Reaction score
100% outside year round… Easy Peezy
I think dawn redwood are hardy to USDA zone four… That’s -30°F. You’re probably zone eight with lows typically in the teens. Your trees will have no problem at all handling winter in your location. In fact, I’ll bet they have a harder time during the summer, meaning, they will need lots of water, and maybe even some shade during the hottest weather. They grow very well in colder climates for what it’s worth. Good luck with them.
Thank you all so much! I may have already killed the grove pulling it inside. there are a few green leaves but most are brown and dried off. But that is what happened with the single older one and it started budding out again. LOL it is still budding. I'll try to post some pics later. But I will move them back outside. There was just so much conflicting advice. Some saying that they don't do well under 40f. I will come here for my advice from now on!! LOL

Top Bottom