It's not all bad...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Not a huge amount has changed for me, but in a month my wife and I will have a little girl.

Covid has taken a lot from people, and at times you can feel selfish about being given life in such circumstances, but I think that in the end of all this, maybe we will all learn to wish the best for everyone, let bygones be bygones, and not cry over a spilt beer. I cant imagine anyone wishing ill will towards others after this harrowing ordeal we've all experienced.

And the trees are waking up too. I'm not planning on adding trees this year; a daughter is enough.

View attachment 367279
That's great, congrats on the upcoming new addition!!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This forced stay at home.......my trees have never looked so good......only one tree left to repot and all the odds and sods tree projects all potted up👍😎🇨🇦
This is so true. Repotting used to stress me out so much trying to steal an hour here or there on weekends and working as quickly as possible before the kids start crying or beating each other up.

But now that I work from home I just do one each morning and take all the time I need while the kids are at school. Nirvana!

Thanks, Covid!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It feels a bit selfish to say, but 2020 was quite a positive one for me. Contrary to the norm, the slowing down of society has meant my mental health is better than it has been in years. My partner and I found out she was pregnant for the first time and has since given birth to a beautiful baby girl and instead of simply being the dirty water gypsies that live on a couple of scabby old boats by the river, the local village community has embraced us completely, sending us well wishes and making our small piece of riverbank really feel like home. Bizarrely, I’ve even had an invite to do an interview about bonsai from a local magazine because they‘ve seen all my trees on their dog walk. Life is good. I can only hope it is the same for everyone else sooner rather than later.

Congratations! Bring her over in a few years and we can share beers as the kids run around the yard! Haha.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Not a huge amount has changed for me, but in a month my wife and I will have a little girl.

Covid has taken a lot from people, and at times you can feel selfish about being given life in such circumstances, but I think that in the end of all this, maybe we will all learn to wish the best for everyone, let bygones be bygones, and not cry over a spilt beer. I cant imagine anyone wishing ill will towards others after this harrowing ordeal we've all experienced.

And the trees are waking up too. I'm not planning on adding trees this year; a daughter is enough.

View attachment 367279
Spilt beer is always worth a cry! Spilt milk. Ehhh.

Congrats though!

All is well in FL. Busier than a one legged man at N ass kicking contest which is annoying at the same time as being welcome. Leaves less time for the nut house but I’m still playing with my trees. Finally got some decent material and a whole bunch of free and dirt cheap plants for the yard that will one day be trees too maybe lol. Did some of my first wiring on a narrow leaf buttonwood with amazing nebari. Got to do more research on it though as it only seems to bud at the tips.

Finally lost a few trees. Tried organic fertilizer. Turns out squirrels can rip through the entire root system of spinosa if you use organic fertilizer. I know water at least once a week with squirrel repellent. So far so good!

Outside of business last year I haven’t had any covid impacts in my immediate friends and family. All I hear is the numbers and 3rd hand stories thankfully.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From a child who grew up harassed because of her living conditions from kids on the school bus...I find peace with the blessings I have found later in life. Makes it very much appreciated. My baby girl Ahsoka. (Australian Shepherd) She will be eleven this year...crazy. Gosh I love her.

So glad for balmy 55F day today. Makes it so rewarding to spend time outside.
20210417_181804.jpg

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
From a child who grew up harassed because of her living conditions from kids on the school bus...I find peace with the blessings I have found later in life. Makes it very much appreciated. My baby girl Ahsoka. (Australian Shepherd) She will be eleven this year...crazy. Gosh I love her.

View attachment 368719
That is a beautiful picture! Wonderful landscaping and such a pretty dog! I could sit out there all day.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks Carol...I'm so relieved to be able to spend time outside finally.
It's been chilly here and rainy. Unseasonably cool for the next week too. :( But my husband is getting his second shot tomorrow and I did a little retail therapy at a nursery today, so it's not all bad!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
@Woocash a @weecash?

Congratulations!

So...do you even have to rock a boat baby? Or do you have to take them on land so they wake up?

🤔 You may be onto something!

Sorce
Thanks! Nah the rivers pretty calm so we have to run side to side on the boat just to rock the cradle. Yes we could just push it like any normal person, but when in Rome...

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Congratations! Bring her over in a few years and we can share beers as the kids run around the yard! Haha.
Heh sounds like fun! If we ever jump over the pond we‘ll definitely look you up. Congratulations to you as well though mate. Exciting times!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for the Good thread on this!

I waited in the line for Home Depot the other day. I was telling people it's like the line for the world's shittiest carnival ride!

I love it because people are more receptive to foolishness!

Yeah Spring. Though it snowed Thursday.
80F Tuesday, Snow Thursday. Meh!

I got my Kiln shelves. So sexy!View attachment 295250

Fired some River clays in the Raku Kiln.View attachment 295247

And this "bowl".View attachment 295248
View attachment 295246

Found a Blue Rug with a wicked bend at the current Soil line. Got my fire extinguisher.
View attachment 295249

Ought to Fire the Big Kiln this week!

Sorce
nice sportster. 883 or 1100?

@Carol 83 nice post and lots to be thankful for.

loving the weather and garden, dog, girlfriend/family, my job (even with p*ssing away .3 - .5 of every dollar), health,
house. despite feeling like the world is crumbling on many fronts (waiting for noko iran syria and china to look at this weakness and realise their move
should be soon) and we're living in an alternate realty based on outlying emotion (vs stats) - loving living in my bubble and happiness.
got a pitchfork behind my door and a hound if anything comes down my street
and approaches my bubble of happiness.

also, yesterday i saw another 2 - 4 bluebirds about 10 mins from my place while sipping on a quality coffee, life is good

1618836254651.png

everything will be okay and have a great day everyone - got taxes to pay now

1618836088605.png

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 368719
That is a little slice of Heaven and Ahsoka is a Dream. Love the name.
Probably my favorite dog in the world but talking my wife into getting a dog is not easy.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is a little slice of Heaven and Ahsoka is a Dream. Love the name.
Probably my favorite dog in the world but talking my wife into getting a dog is not easy.
Thank you...Love spending time outside. Soooo ready for spring here. Thank you...the name is from Star Wars Clone Wars. The character was a Jedi Padawan who did her best to please. An Australian Shepherd trait. So it was fitting. They are an amazing breed...we've had bulldogs all our married years. Stubborn but a breed we love. So a dog that...listens. She's so smart...willing to please. She doesn't hurt cats. She only chases when a command is given. Because we have other wild life here that I don't want her to wrestle with which would stand and fight. Dogs...or any pet, can take time from our daily lives. But what they bring in return you can't put money on that. It's priceless. But...you do need to be in sync to bring home one. Wish you the best in swaying your wife into a dog.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am very thankful for your post and for the opportunity for everybody here with shared interests to express accordingly.

Me personally I am walking a very thin line with bonsai, being an expat on a work visa who could at any moment (with this volotile 'economy') be forced to abandon/liquidate my 50+ babies and have to move back "up North" where this activity is not feasible. So now, I am appreciating the fact that I can routinely walk along my benches and literally watch these awesome little trees grow more and more every day. It is the most relaxing thing ever, and anybody who doesn't post on here will probably never understand it.

Between the squirrels wrecking my moss, and puppows chewing my cut putty off, I couldn't ask for a more awesome time.

Thanks Spring, Social Distancing, and Bonsai Nut!!!
Up north...where are you from? Just curious...reading through the first few pages...of this thread. Knowing you experienced a brutal winter down south. Spring is here!!!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So most of the time we are just counting our blessings and keeping moving with projects.
Two of our daughters are doctors, one in an ICU in Detroit, the other bouncing between ER and Delivery in Mesa, so it pays for us to just to keep busy and not dwell on what could happen to either of them and their patients.
Our latest effort was installing a Johnny’s Pink and a Sharp’s Pygmy in our landscape, not for bonsai!
Next project: To build another freestanding “tall boy” bonsai bench.
View attachment 295421 View attachment 295420 View attachment 295428
cheers DSD sends Happy Easter!
I hope they remained healthy and strong through all this. Medical professions...wore capes for sure throughout all this. Lovely tree...and cool bench.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sportster. 883 or 1100?

They call it 1200, so like 11something!

Bought to drift it this year!

It ain't all bad!

I am worried about the millions of marine animals that are going to die via discarded masks....but...

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very blessed here! Oldest daughter moved back from the dorms to our house. Youngest daughter decided to raise chickens. They just started laying some great eggs. The wife and I get along great (25 years june) and my trees waking up now. We lost one nephew inlaw to covid...several other family members got it but survived in good shape. Good to hear from everyone.
Heartfelt condolences...for the loss...but glad the rest all survived the horrible virus. We all are moving forward in this...We have to eventually round the bend and be able to get back to close to normal soon. That's my prayer anyways... Teared up hearing of your loss...hit our family below the belt here...understand the loss. SUCKS...But grateful for those who did survive. We have to look to the positives in this...Chickens... lol that's great! Farm girl in me...I'm not allowed farm animals in our lake association. But I love when other's can have fresh eggs.

Top Bottom