Ittoigawa juniper

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This juniper has been with me a reasonable amount of time, and is sort of my ittoigawa teacher.

I bought it from someone in the UK, who had it from a batch of trees imported from Japan. As he himself was moving abroad, he was selling his stock. I was planning attending a big weekend-long workshop in the UK, so a perfect match.

As advertised in 2011 (!) this must have been the second tree I ever bought for bonsai
201105_4.jpg

201305_aankoop.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I took the car and drove from Germany to Hoek van Holland, to the the ferry. Driving onto the ferry at sunset. Eating, sleeping, drinking and what not till next morning around 7AM bringing me to Hull in the UK, and off to one of the best workshops I have ever been to, with Terry Foster, Tony Tickle, Hans van Meer and Pavel Slovak. I guess that was the weekend that sealed my relation with bonsai!

Looking back through my pictures I realize, not 2011, but 2013!

With me wanting to really learn how to do this stuff, every cut, wire and bend was done by me, and the only input from these great guyes were the discussions on "where can I take this". This probably cost me about 5 years of development, cutting of wrong branches, setting wires poorly and what not! But.. Learn from your mistakes. Did I have lots of learning material afterwards!

The tree before starting:
201311_1.jpg

Dropping loads of branches. And me, not realizing the potential, did not take a single cutting. Kicking myself. I could have had a field of 9 year old ittoigawas now! This is also where I learned: I do not really like turntables!
201311_2.jpg

The tree after first styling, back in the yard at home
JCI01-1.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come 2015. The tree has not really developed. I am still battling needle foliage. I did do a second laying out of the foliage, to keep the foliage open. This tree is teaching me.. Wait till perfectly happy for the next work...
1599374722105.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In 2017 it is clear some parts of the back have died back after the big trim in 2013 and I have cleaned them up. The foliage is decidedly better looking now
1599374817530.png

Still needles, but also signs of backbudding:
1599374894981.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2017 prooved to be a turning point, as the tree did not beat an eyelash to the work done in 2018. And 2019 saw the advent of a ceramic pot for this tree, and another cleanup:
1599375156442.png

Two months later, and the tree was just laughing at it..
1599375242821.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it was @GrimLore who talked about using a rubber doorstop to stop turntables. I always found that a brilliant idea, just never got around to finding a doorstop.

I really appreciate them for viewing. Certainly not working.

Nice.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a workshop in the winter of 2019/2020 we decided the tree was somehow out of balance. And rotated the tree by 90 degrees, creating a new front.
It involved removing part of the cascading branch, and dropping a main branch in the top left between the two top-yins to create the left branch hanging down from the crown:
20200408-R14A3259-177.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hummm...
I've got an Itoigawa that is strugling after initial work last year. Following this thread now I see I will have to be patient, wait for the juvenile foliage to mature, and let it gain strength before doing further work.
Thanks for the progression, @leatherback !

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The design is a bit awkward with the right branch being forced up into an apex and then looping back down to become a left branch. When it’s full, you can get away with more of that, but is it a good long-term solution?

The deadwood is also heavy up in that same area, maybe it’s the photo flattening the Jin into the Shari, and the planting angle pushing that area toward the camera…?
A40E7FB1-68DE-43F0-AEC5-1504E7B112CA.jpeg

I wonder if the other side is still the better front.
F4A8EE05-2629-41A2-8045-A8197FA02E49.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The design is a bit awkward with the right branch being forced up into an apex and then looping back down to become a left branch. When it’s full, you can get away with more of that, but is it a good long-term solution?
Good point, and the downside of poor 2D pictures. They are 2 competing crowns, and it only looks like the branch on the right forms the left part of the canopy. So I need to re-shape the lower right branch in order to create a clear space.

Which side is better.. I am really not sure. I have been rotating this so many times ;)

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The previous front looks best to my eye, ...by a pretty wide margin.

I'm in the patient stage with a couple of my shimpaku right now. Loved seeing this progression.

Top Bottom