Itty Bitty Elm - Where now?

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is an elm I chopped last year. As you can see, it is only about 3" tall now, and has grown lots of new branches. I quickly styled/wired it this spring to sell, but I like it too much I guess. It has been growing secondary branches all summer and is almost hard to keep up with.
Anywho, my question is simple; where now? The branching doesn't seem quite ideal, the "front" needs adjusting, and the apex looks funky. I will most likely take it to my next workshop with Jim, but I would like all your suggestions as well. Thanks! -=Brian=-

Attachments

• DSCF1201.JPG
    DSCF1201.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCF1202.JPG
    DSCF1202.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 341

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
more pics...

Attachments

• DSCF1203.JPG
    DSCF1203.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF1204.JPG
    DSCF1204.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF1205.JPG
    DSCF1205.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF1206.JPG
    DSCF1206.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF1207.JPG
    DSCF1207.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 112

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Considering the size of the trunk the branches need to be allowed to grow out to thicken them. Apex can be worked after lower branches are near finished.
Irene

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is an elm I chopped last year. As you can see, it is only about 3" tall now, and has grown lots of new branches. I quickly styled/wired it this spring to sell, but I like it too much I guess. It has been growing secondary branches all summer and is almost hard to keep up with.
Anywho, my question is simple; where now? The branching doesn't seem quite ideal, the "front" needs adjusting, and the apex looks funky. I will most likely take it to my next workshop with Jim, but I would like all your suggestions as well. Thanks! -=Brian=-

Brian, I think all you need is one simple thing: time. Give the little guy time, and you'll be more and more pleased. I would let the apex grow stronger to thicken the transition between chop and new leader, but this can be done even in a bonsai pot with this particular tree. Couple years should do the trick.

Zach

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Agreed. It was a $2 Chinese deal and will be replaced with a handmade Jim Barrett next year if it is still alive...

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Dunno, I think its Seiju. Unfortunately its not growing how I want, it looks pretty sad with very few leaves. It may have been attacked by slugs/snails or something to that effect.

Reaction score
In your very first pic, I would bend the apex over to the right. It will give the tree a little more movement, as well as it will distract one's eye from the scar on the back. Nice tree, watch your watering, when they are that small, they dry so quick. Also, one of the other probs. is they become root bound so fast. What I have done before is get a trey of coarse sand, and set the pot on it, let the roots the roots that grow out the bottom grow into the sand. Rather than always cutting, you can every once in while cut, which makes a happier much stronger tree. We all agree though... drop the pot. perhaps oval???

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love that pot for this tree. Color is great match.

Where now?

Sorce

Top Bottom