I've access to a few broomstick thick zelkova's - worth the collection effort?

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
I reside in Baltimore and have access to what the city would consider nuisance zelkova trees self sown in some elevated planters in our downtown area. There are a few 1"+ thick trees with some serious roots that could be air layered if there is any benefit to having them for future projects. I'm not sure if these would be considered worth the collection effort? None of these larger trunked trees have any additional branching in the first 3-4' of trunk.

There are multiple thinner self sown specimens that are easy to transplant for some further in ground growth in the back 20' of yard which I'll grab somewhere in the early spring.

Thanks in advance.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They may be Siberian Elm, which wouldn't suck, same techniques more or less.

That said, Zelkova, or any Ulmlus, is THE tree to collect in any state, due to their likelihood to grow well from layers, and sprout from chop callous rings, which make the traditional.....

Broom!

FATE!

Getem!

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you are okay with starting the bottom and top over, basically just using the trunk- then yea, go for it.

If you want to dig, put in a pot and use the existing branches you will probably be disappointed in the quality after a few years.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can start with almost anything and end up with good bonsai given enough time and technique.
Whether these are worth collecting depends on what alternatives you have and how long you want to wait. Small trees are quick to collect and transplant easily so you can start quite a few and gradually cull to keep just the best as they develop.
Having plenty of trees allows you to try different things and learn way more than just on theory or some one else's say so.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have the space and time to tend to them, get them. Work them. Learn from them. Put 2 of them in the ground for later.
Everything you do not like you can give away.

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I’m pretty much committed to grabbing what I can. Is there any benefit to severing the largest lateral roots at this time to encourage smaller roots to develop (this I would think would also facilitate terminal of the entire tree if desired?) or just wait until the spring? As stated, I’m in a city and this is all done in public view so it’s an early weekend. Morning process!

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what weather you will get...
Be selective. Prune roots that you do not need for nebari development. Cut back to fine side-roots to aid recover.

In my garden there is no mercy. But contious aggressive pruning.
20201205-R14A4468.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Zelkova are pretty tough. I have never had any problem just transplanting them and I doubt there will be time over winter for new roots to grow if you cut now anyhow.
I also find that when roots are cut before transplant the cuts are inevitably way too far out from the trunk. Large roots really need to be chopped just an inch or 2 from the trunk so you will get better root ramification close to the trunk as new roots emerge from around the cut ends.
You should be able to cut both roots and trunk at transplant. New roots and new shoots will mostly grow close to the cut ends so go hard right from the start to get better results.

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks Shibui. I'll do some major root lopping over the next week or two and see how things look in the early spring.

The pics are some of the stock that's just growing errantly in a downtown spot.

Attachments

• IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 41

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
Just to verify, these are the leaves and some of the other smaller stock just sitting around calling my name. I assume that these are indeed zelkova?

Attachments

• IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 36

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you go collect them, remember these layer pretty well too. So you might find some of them with interesting topsections. DO not just lop them all down.

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks like elm to me, not zelkova
Understood, the leaves are quite diminutive so as it's what I have free of charge access to for now, I'll experiment and move forward with these.....

If anyone has any input as to what type of elm I'd be interested. I'm hard pressed to find a leaf larger than 1" on most of these mature as well as juvenile trees.

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
When you go collect them, remember these layer pretty well too. So you might find some of them with interesting topsections. DO not just lop them all down.
I'm going to lop chop the largest roots I can find and see if I can drag most of the tree home with me. I did a quick scan and there wasn't much of interest up north but I'll look again. It's downtown Balto, I'm watching my back as much as I am the tree!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm going to lop chop the largest roots I can find and see if I can drag most of the tree home with me. I did a quick scan and there wasn't much of interest up north but I'll look again. It's downtown Balto, I'm watching my back as much as I am the tree!
i was going to hold off but you kind of went there! good luck and if worse comes to worse pretend youre going to use the tree as a tool to break through some glass storesfront and no one will bat an eye!!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with elm ID. Small leaves usually indicate Chinese elm. Chinese elms sucker from the roots so there are often lots of little ones near bigger trees. They can also self seed and the pics look like seedlings.
Either way elms and zelkova respond very similar.

Tops can be layered if there is any good branching. Trunks without good tops can be chopped low and many shoots will grow round the cut. Make chops at the height you want the branches to start. Use the best shoots to develop broom style trees.
Root cuttings of all elms will also grow so if you find any interesting shaped roots take those home too.

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
Agreed, definitely a Chinese elm. I’ll be playing with these guys this year and will keep everyone posted.

Now I need to find an actual zelkova. Off to the arboretum it seems!

Top Bottom