I've always wanted a larch

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sick, I think larches make some of the best forests. Looks like back buster in that cement cube

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, those are nice looking! Great find. I've always wanted a larch as well so I got seeds to start but it'll be a long wait before I can do much with them. Styrofoam? Haha, nice. How much slate will weigh depends a lot on how thick it is and whether it is wet or dry. At the Asheville Arboretum bonsai garden I was shocked and amused to see a fantastic forest planting on top of a piece of old weathered plywood that had been beautifully cut! Lichens and moss growing on the bare edges of the wood. I took photos but haven't resized or posted them yet. Must be some pretty decent plywood not to have warped. It looked really good!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well that styrofoam has got a hell of a patina going on. I'd keep it in that pot ;). I only have one larch (larix lariciana), it was the first prebonsai I ever bought and it's definitely a lot fo fun. continuous flushes of growth and it wakes up before most of my other trees in spring. Currently correcting all the beginner mistakes I made on it haha

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Well that styrofoam has got a hell of a patina going on. I'd keep it in that pot ;). I only have one larch (larix lariciana), it was the first prebonsai I ever bought and it's definitely a lot fo fun. continuous flushes of growth and it wakes up before most of my other trees in spring. Currently correcting all the beginner mistakes I made on it haha

It's great that they grow so fast! Can't wait to start pruning these little sprinters :) Let's hope I don't make to many beginner mistakes! My teacher will probably point them out for me!

Reactions: GGB

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow, those are nice looking! Great find. I've always wanted a larch as well so I got seeds to start but it'll be a long wait before I can do much with them. Styrofoam? Haha, nice. How much slate will weigh depends a lot on how thick it is and whether it is wet or dry. At the Asheville Arboretum bonsai garden I was shocked and amused to see a fantastic forest planting on top of a piece of old weathered plywood that had been beautifully cut! Lichens and moss growing on the bare edges of the wood. I took photos but haven't resized or posted them yet. Must be some pretty decent plywood not to have warped. It looked really good!
Pics or it didn't happen ;) I'd like to plant them on different levels, so I'm not sure if I should use slate or another type of stone that's a bit more gnarly.. Or some kind of plywood mountain landscape ;)

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really like it. Any idea of the range of ages? Nigel Saunders has a really nice larch forest that henhas been showing on his YouTube channel for several years, really nice!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics or it didn't happen ;) I'd like to plant them on different levels, so I'm not sure if I should use slate or another type of stone that's a bit more gnarly.. Or some kind of plywood mountain landscape ;)

Ha! There is nothing to see yet. The seeds are in the refrigerator stratifying.

As to the photos of the plywood base I will try to post them for you. I haven't even gotten them off of my camera and onto the computer yet. This moving thing and no internet makes it difficult and it's hard to do much from my phone, alas. But I'll see what I can do.

I like the idea of using stone if that's a viable option for you. I love stone and of course that would look more natural and last virtually forever if it doesn't break. Still, the plywood was a surprise!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found my camera! Here we go. This was from a couple of weeks ago and things were only starting to perk up out of winter dormancy. Up at my cabin at a much higher elevation this would be covered with lichens but you can still see hints of them on the plywood. I imagine you could leave less edge showing. Stone would obviously be a better choice but depends on the size, shape, availability, etc. Clay slab would also be an option such as stoneware. This is an American Hornbeam forest.

Hornbeam Forest on Plywood.jpgHornbeam Plywood Detail.jpgPlywood Sedum.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Fishtank307 great pick up on those larches!

@Hyn Patty dang...that is pretty exceptional the way they planted that wood out. Love the design!

Edit: Curious if that might be marine plywood? That would allow it to take water without warping. But...honestly just my gerbil spinning on its wheel.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I really like it. Any idea of the range of ages? Nigel Saunders has a really nice larch forest that henhas been showing on his YouTube channel for several years, really nice!

Yeah, his forest looks pretty neat! No idea what age they are... My guess would be close to ten years for the largest one? I can check the diameter when I get home and someone with more experience could estimate the age!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Found my camera! Here we go. This was from a couple of weeks ago and things were only starting to perk up out of winter dormancy. Up at my cabin at a much higher elevation this would be covered with lichens but you can still see hints of them on the plywood. I imagine you could leave less edge showing. Stone would obviously be a better choice but depends on the size, shape, availability, etc. Clay slab would also be an option such as stoneware. This is an American Hornbeam forest.

View attachment 194040View attachment 194041View attachment 194042
Nice! Wasn't expecting that!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Fishtank307 great pick up on those larches!

@Hyn Patty dang...that is pretty exceptional the way they planted that wood out. Love the design!

Edit: Curious if that might be marine plywood? That would allow it to take water without warping. But...honestly just my gerbil spinning on its wheel.

I'm betting you are right. We stood around and talked about it and Marine Ply was mentioned as being likely. That would make sense so it doesn't warp and fall apart too quickly.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! Wasn't expecting that!
Me either! It took me by surprise and I did a double take, then made a point of getting some good photos. I'm going up to see the National exhibit in DC in mid June so I'm looking forward to getting lots of photos of that as well. Might be more surprises.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
My little forrest isn't doing so well :s We're currently experiencing a heat wave here and it has taken its toll... One tree died because I forgot to water it. I had put it in a tub with some water and it was doing fine. (Previous owner adviced me to do so). One day, all the water had evaporated and the largest tree in the planting withered and died.
Now, a couple of weeks later, one of the other trees is showing signs of damage as well. Older needs are shrivelling and falling off, new growth is still there (luckily).

IMG_20180726_084810.jpg

IMG_20180726_084816.jpg

IMG_20180726_084828.jpg

Another tree has red needles. Scorched maybe?
IMG_20180726_085043.jpg

I'm finding it difficult to deal with the extreme weather atm. It was doing fine when it was siting in a small tub with some water in it. But now temps have risen to 30+ degrees C, so I'm guessing that can't be good for the roots either.
Also, it's still planted it nursery soil (mixed with some gravel, but not draining very well!) Also pretty pot-bound by now :s I think it could grow a lot better if it had been repotted last spring...
Last week I put it in the shade, out of the tub. Maybe too much water was causing more damage? Maybe it's better to let the soil dry out a bit more, before watering it? Larches do love moist soil, so I'm a bit conflicted...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:(

Maybe increase the watering frequency?

My trees now get watered befor the sun hits them in the morning. And again an hour before sunset. So far my larches are not having problems with the 34C we have had this whole week. But after 2PM the get some shade on the pots.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One thing I have consistently read about larches is never let the soil dry out. Also, most writers suggest moving them into part sun during the heat of summer. Most of these posts have been about American larch so I don’t know how much of that applies to yours. At this point it sounds like you really need to keep them shaded and at least moist.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
:(

Maybe increase the watering frequency?

My trees now get watered befor the sun hits them in the morning. And again an hour before sunset. So far my larches are not having problems with the 34C we have had this whole week. But after 2PM the get some shade on the pots.

I'm going to do the same, + misting in the morning and in the evening and some shade!

Top Bottom