I've got a new girl now... and she's a lot like you!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Potting up some of my fatty pine seedlings... and can't get this song out of my mind :) 2 years 4 months after seed germination:

View attachment 305329

Sweet! I saw on your other thread you have quite the amount of pine material brought back from Cali. Let me know if you ever need to clear some space ;)

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Pretty impressive. Will those wire grooves ever disappear do you think?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Well thats good to know. I find pastry and beer is a good combination for rounding out defined bellies!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not leaving wire ino_O.

Leaving wire in is not required. In my case, the trees have mostly overgrown the wire so removing it would damage the tree more than leaving it in. As I repotted each tree, I attempted to remove as much wire as I could... without damaging the tree. The point is that leaving wire in does not necessarily help or hinder the tree. The wire was placed on the seedlings when their trunks were perhaps 1/2" thick. By the time the tree trunk is 2" thick, not only will the wire be 3/4" below the surface of the bark, but any signs of scarring should be gone.

If I were developing these trees over a time frame longer than 6 years, I would have rewired them, but this time the wire would have been wound in an opposite direction, so that as it bit into the bark it would cause scarring in different lines / directions than the first time. The 2nd application of wire would be removed before it was totally embedded.

At least... this is my plan :)

Top Bottom