Ive had it with my cat and my location need the communitys input please!

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm starting to aquire some nice material on this bonsai journey and I am running into two issues. Cats scratching the trunks of my trees and the location I have my trees where they are very vulnerable to being stolen. Is there a cat deterrent that works better than apple cider vinegar? I have an awesome trident that has that beautiful skin that peels off and our cat decided to take it off. My fiance and I love this little manx but right now I'm not to fond of the little fella but still wont get rid of it especially since it makes my fiance so happy.
Also I am looking to move since the back yard to where I live isn't sunny enough to get solid growth. My trees are in an area where folks that walk by can see them and where drivers cant. I live on a one way street and think this and how the porch is hidden from the neighbors house when driving by is the reason why nothing has been taken. on that topic until I move, if there was a company that made GPS devices that I can put in the pots to the more valuable material it would make me more comfortable while looking to either buy or rent a new house. I rent right now and so at least I'm able to get out of here sooner than if I owned the place.
Would appreciate any advice on these 2 issues I'm having. Thanks

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maryland or Virginia seem like heaven to me. At least in terms of climate. Get some land get some fences

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can you keep the cat inside only? Or build a cat enclosure where he can spend time outside but still be locked up?
Has he or she been neutered or spayed?
Last option declaw but only if they will not be allowed to roam outside.
I am a cat person too. I have 3.3399B900-715F-43B9-923C-5C061AB73A33.jpegDC08B23E-290F-403A-BB0B-21614A9DF7A0.jpeg

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Get the cat a scratching post.

Just to add on to what Adair wrote - it’s nigh to impossible to train a cat to not do something. There’s not much that you could do to stop your cat from scratching your trees other than a complete physical barrier.

So give your cat something that it likes to scratch more than your trees. Try getting a few different scratching posts. Keep the one that’s your cat’s favorite and return the others. Put catnip on the post to keep your cat interested in it. Maybe put cat treats on the scratching post every morning. Do whatever you can to make the scratching post more enticing to your cat than your trees.

Pro tip - Get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Catit-Scratcher-with-Catnip-Wide/dp/B0032GEE8S/

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Buy a scratching post, spray bottle when he goes near trees etc. def don’t declaw, that’s a terrible thing to do to a cat.

And cats can be trained, a lot of work, but possible.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
Love these ideas. My fiance has been wanting me to build one of those cat enclosures for months. I'm surprised there isn't a company that makes GPS units for bonsai. Ones that you recharge once a week at the most and bury them. There has got to be some universal ones but I'm not finding ones that can take a beating in a pot that has enough battery to last as long as I need. If there were a long flat type that could fit on the bottom of a pot that would be cool but I'm not finding anything but will keep looking. I've found a company in Europe that has RFID chips which is a start I guess.
Thanks guys.
Oh and the scratch post I had outside was moved in doors because of rain but never moved back so thank you Adair and others for mentioning that as well. Good stuff and can always count on this group for advice. (Also love when rookies take pictures of sticks in pots and ask for styling advice. That's entertainment and why I became a member of this group no joke.)

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put water in a spray bottle and keep it by your trees. When the cat get too close to a tree spray your cat in the face with water. It will learn.
that doesnt really work, i've been doing that to keep my cat from chewing plastic bags..her age is directly proportional to how long ive been training her to NOT chew plastic bags.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
that doesnt really work, i've been doing that to keep my cat from chewing plastic bags..her age is directly proportional to how long ive been training her to NOT chew plastic bags.
The spray bottle kept our cat from trying to chew wires and scratch on the couch, started when she was a kitten. I don't think anything would keep her from chewing on plastic bags, it must be like cat crack. Good to know our cat isn't the only one addicted.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yea I heard there’s some chemical in plastic bags that cats love, like the plastic version of catnip or something. Mine particularly love chewing on cellophane.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can you keep the cat inside only? Or build a cat enclosure where he can spend time outside but still be locked up?
Has he or she been neutered or spayed?
Last option declaw but only if they will not be allowed to roam outside.
I am a cat person too. I have 3.View attachment 233743View attachment 233744
That cat playpen reminds me of the playpen my mother kept me in as a kid!

I think that’s why I have such a warm and comforting personality!

Oh... wait...

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've always wanted to see a bonsai in a birdcage. This is your chance!
If it's caged, the cat can't get to it.

There's even bars for guy wired that you can attach in birdcages. I'm getting the feeling there's a market to be explored.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Put water in a spray bottle and keep it by your trees. When the cat get too close to a tree spray your cat in the face with water. It will learn.
Worked for me. I haven't used it 4 years on my fatcat but she still bolts like the yeller coward that she is at the sight of the spray bottle. It does take a lot of perseverence to actually get her to stop. Once she does she'll remember for the rest of her nine lives. Also bought some cat deterrent at the pet store before using the spray to the mug trick. She loved rolling around in the stuff :))

Top Bottom