Ivy (hedera) as bonsai?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering whether there are examples of great ivy bonsai. Reason I ask.. There are a few trees with somewhat thick ivy strains nearby. It looks like the killing crews will take them down as part of the "nature maintenance needs". So I might try and get my hands on a section. But I find it hard to find good examples..

Julio-Rufo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was wondering whether there are examples of great ivy bonsai. Reason I ask.. There are a few trees with somewhat thick ivy strains nearby. It looks like the killing crews will take them down as part of the "nature maintenance needs". So I might try and get my hands on a section. But I find it hard to find good examples..
This is the best example I know so far.
It is not an easy bonsai subject.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like the killing crews will take them down as part of the "nature maintenance needs"
They still do that? That's retarded. Ivy doesn't harm the tree and is very valuable. Many birds breed in ivy and it's an important nectar source in autumn.
If they do this for "nature management" they should read a book on nature management published after 1960.

Considering ivy as bonsai, I never find them convincing. To me it's still ivy and not a tree. But if you like them, who not.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its right up there with Japanese Honeysuckle. Not commonly used but there are some good ones.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Like most vines used for bonsai, the issue is finding a "trunk".

If you can find a segment of trunk of sufficient caliper to make a convincing "tree", it is worth working with.

If you start with a slender cutting, or seed, you will have to let it grow to great lengths to get it to "trunk up". Then you will have to cut back. The cycles of grow out and cut back can take years or even decades. The preferred method is to find mature trunks ready to style into bonsai, well worth the price.

Vines which can work for bonsai include:

Hedera - Ivy
Vitis - Grape
Actinidia - Kiwifruit - all species, both the hardy and the culinary
Passiflora - passionfruit - some are more woody than others, flowers are spectacular for some, insignificant for others. Passiflora subarosa has thick corky bark, but insignificant greenish flowers. Passiflora edulis has spectacular flowers, as do many of the tropicals. Passiflora incarnata is winter hardy through zone 6, and has showy flowers.
Lonicera - Honeysuckle - Lonicera japonica is a vine, some of the others are shrubs. If you can find a trunk to collect, that is the way to go. Lonicera caerulea is the culinary haskap, a tasty blue fruit.
Fuchsia - Fuchsia are pretty flowering subtropical garden plants, some are vine like, some are shrubs, most as they age become woody. New growth is tender the first year, but becomes woody the second or third year.

There are many other good vines for bonsai, but my brain is drawing a blank. Anyone?

Julio-Rufo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

If you can find a segment of trunk of sufficient caliper to make a convincing "tree", it is worth working with.

If you start with a slender cutting, or seed, you will have to let it grow to great lengths to get it to "trunk up". Then you will have to cut back. The cycles of grow out and cut back can take years or even decades. The preferred method is to find mature trunks ready to style into bonsai, well worth the price.

Hedera - Ivy
Vitis - Grape
Passiflora - passionfruit - some are more woody than others, flowers are spectacular for some, insignificant for others. Passiflora subarosa has thick corky bark, but insignificant greenish flowers. Passiflora edulis has spectacular flowers, as do many of the tropicals. Passiflora incarnata is winter hardy through zone 6, and has showy flowers.
Lonicera - Honeysuckle - Lonicera japonica is a vine, some of the others are shrubs. If you can find a trunk to collect, that is the way to go. Lonicera caerulea is the culinary haskap, a tasty blue fruit.
Fuchsia - Fuchsia are pretty flowering subtropical garden plants, some are vine like, some are shrubs, most as they age become woody. New growth is tender the first year, but becomes woody the second or third year.

There are many other good vines for bonsai, but my brain is drawing a blank. Anyone?
If we start talking about vines in general, I would say Wisteria is probably the main species among vines used for bonsai (there are two main varieties, Wisteria sinensis and Wisteria floribunda).

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If we start talking about vines in general, I would say Wisteria is probably the main species among vines used for bonsai (there are two main varieties, Wisteria sinensis and Wisteria floribunda).

Yes, Wisteria!
Exquisitely beautiful in bloom. An ugly duckling the rest of the year. The rampant vines reaching out to grab everywhere mean that most put Wisteria in the back of their collections, only to be shown for a few weeks in spring. Or in the case of floribunda, while in bloom early summer.

Julio-Rufo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, Wisteria!
Exquisitely beautiful in bloom. An ugly duckling the rest of the year. The rampant vines reaching out to grab everywhere mean that most put Wisteria in the back of their collections, only to be shown for a few weeks in spring. Or in the case of floribunda, while in bloom early summer.
Very true!
I do remember a huge one at John Naka’s I.

scottschecter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Hedera - Ivy
Vitis - Grape

I've always been fond of Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum). The bright yellow flowers in winter are nice.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Hedera - Ivy
Vitis - Grape

Ampelopsis sp., I have a nice variegated porcelain berry shohin. Also, Parthenocissus tricuspidata (and P. quinquefolia)... again, I've got a few nice shohins.

For the OP, I have seen a few H. helix bonsai, definitely few and far between.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
This one I left on Mainlandia before leaving for the islands 30 years ago. I planned to graft smaller leaves and bring everything down. One never knows what's at the base of a wall or tree full of ivy.

Attachments

• ivy-2.jpg
    ivy-2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ivy-1.jpg
    ivy-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom