j. procumbens nana bunjin

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I've been working on this juniper off and on for about 8 years. It's growing profusly this summer, so some pinching and trimming was in order.
It has a name that some in the cyberbonsai world know, and that is, LONG TALL SALLY, or LTS for short. Those of you that are familiar with pop music from around 1956 may know the song and artist the name came from.
This bonsai originated from staked procumbens nursery stock. Current height is 41 inches including the Tokoname pot.

Mike

Attachments

• LTS-09rs.jpg
    LTS-09rs.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 277

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As anyone can plainly see,
She is indeed built for speed.
My name init John and I don't know no Mary
but Long Tall Sally got everythin' I need.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
As anyone can plainly see,
She is indeed built for speed.
My name init John and I don't know no Mary
but Long Tall Sally got everythin' I need.

There ya go!!!:D

Mike

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I've been working on this juniper off and on for about 8 years. It's growing profusly this summer, so some pinching and trimming was in order.
It has a name that some in the cyberbonsai world know, and that is, LONG TALL SALLY, or LTS for short. Those of you that are familiar with pop music from around 1956 may know the song and artist the name came from.
This bonsai originated from staked procumbens nursery stock. Current height is 41 inches including the Tokoname pot.

Mike

What feelings does this style tree provoke for those of you who like them. Do they remind you of something in nature, perhaps a survivor in a forrest, I can't appreciate them yet, I guess because I don't understand what I'm looking at.

keep it green,
Harry

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Please keep posting photos.
You're inspiring me.
Paul

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are Loblolly pines here in GA that look exactly like that.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
What feelings does this style tree provoke for those of you who like them. Do they remind you of something in nature, perhaps a survivor in a forrest, I can't appreciate them yet, I guess because I don't understand what I'm looking at.

keep it green,
Harry

Harry, to learn about this style, you need a book on literati art. The art came first. Bonsai long after.
Check the link for JAPANESE PAINTING IN THE LITERATI STYLE. Long out of print but available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?sea...ank&mysubmitbutton1.x=65&mysubmitbutton1.y=11

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

keep it green,
Harry

I'm in your corner on this Harry. I don't get it either. I think from a distance they look like a sun starved seedling or table lamps, depending in wether they have a big bend with a tuft of foliage on the end. I've seen very few literati that I've thought "wow, that looks really old and very cool". To each his own I guess.
Mary B.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do they remind you of something in nature, perhaps a survivor in a forest, I can't appreciate them yet, I guess because I don't understand what I'm looking at.

Close to 90% of old Scots pines around here look exactly like that or are on their way to look like that. For this area, bunjin is really the most natural shape found in bonsai.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you should put it into a growing pot for 10 years to thicken the trunk

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some natural literati trees....

Attachments

• DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0059.JPG
    DSCF0059.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 64

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Consider reducing the foliage by about 2/3rd's. Right now it feels very top-heavy to me, not at all airy and light - nor does it appear particularly ravaged by years of inclement weather. Looking at my quick virtual, I would work to reduce the foliage again by about 25% - 50%.

bunjin.jpg

You might even consider removing the left branch to give more power and movement to the design. It is too literal for my taste (no pun intended).

bunjin2.jpg

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you should put it into a growing pot for 10 years to thicken the trunk

Unless you're joking you need to hit the books again. The trunk is perfect for this.

I do agree with Greg's virt though on the foliage. Can't win can you Mike. Every other tree you posted people said not enough foliage.... now you have too much.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It either needs a different pot or a thicker trunk, maybe 10 years was over-estimated, but to me this tree looks to thin, it looks awkward in that pot as well. That is my opinion on this tree whether it is correct or not.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unless you're joking you need to hit the books again. The trunk is perfect for this.

It either needs a different pot or a thicker trunk, maybe 10 years was over-estimated, but to me this tree looks to thin, it looks awkward in that pot as well. That is my opinion on this tree whether it is correct or not. Hitting the books again will not make me change the way I see this tree.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
It either needs a different pot or a thicker trunk, maybe 10 years was over-estimated, but to me this tree looks to thin, it looks awkward in that pot as well. That is my opinion on this tree whether it is correct or not. Hitting the books again will not make me change the way I see this tree.

If the trunk thickens this tree will not be anything. Literati have little taper, just like they are in the wild. Little foliage, Little taper as there is not alot to push nutrients to so the trunk doesn't need to be large.

Top Bottom