J. procumbens 'Nana', develop into pre-bonsai?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got eight of these overgrown junipers from a local nursery. My intention is to have them available for a workshop sometime in the next year or two. What should I be doing to then to have them ready?
This is a sample, certainly not the best:
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0006.JPGDSC_0008.JPG

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another sample. Probably the nicest. I started cleaning this one up.
DSC_0205.JPGDSC_0206.JPGDSC_0207.JPGDSC_0208.JPGDSC_0210.JPG

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would start with the garden hose. Typical nozzle on jet
then spray them all and surrounding areas where jetted off with stinky Malathion.
Neem oil next month, but you’re off to the right start cleaning them up.
Gotta see some light and air movement through the foliage and remove crazy stuff on healthy ones.
Things that have to be corrected else they become super flaws....

As for a workshop, I couldn’t begin to tell you what amount of prep since I’ve never seen one.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would start with the garden hose. Typical nozzle on jet
then spray them all and surrounding areas where jetted off with stinky Malathion.
Neem oil next month, but you’re off to the right start cleaning them up.
Gotta see some light and air movement through the foliage and remove crazy stuff on healthy ones.
Things that have to be corrected else they become super flaws....

As for a workshop, I couldn’t begin to tell you what amount of prep since I’ve never seen one.
Yes, of course clean up all the dead needles and remove any dead twigs. And keep them healthy all winter including treating for pests and fertilizing and watering.
I am not intending to PREP them for a workshop, that will be up to the participants. I am thinking maybe these need to be grown for several years before they are decent pre-bonsai material ready for styling?
Should I consider potting up next spring?
How much pruning should be done? I'm guessing I should prune some to allow sunlight into the interior so those little inside branches will grow? But that would require at least some styling choices to be made and I am not experienced or knowledgeable enough to make good selections.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am not experienced or knowledgeable enough to make good selections.
Bologna LOL :)
I see a branch spiraling around the base of the 1st one and mold. Maybe Osmocote in the interior.
As you clean and expose you'll find what the tree needs, that comes 1st in selection.
What does the plant lend itself to, where would you like what you find, go?
This is the most fun part of bonsai for me when I purchase nursery material.
Healthy stuff that is lush I just bought last month...nothing. Spring I'll start pruning.

I would not pot up the weak ones in the Spring even if the soil is a main culprit. Just clean up
those weaker ones and stuff them in the ground with a little root work, nothing extra, just to gain vigour.

The healthy ones doesn't matter which end you work 1st...IF they are healthy.
Many say root work 1st, and while the foliage is there, why not? Myself I get a feel
of the tree to be 1st, with a bit of pruning in Spring, heavier pruning around 4th of July and pot up
the following Spring. Having 8 all at once you'll be a pro in no time when it comes to finding what the
plant has to offer. Out of 8 you might keep one or two.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is what I ended up doing:
All 8 cleaned up and re-potted. Root balls were all badly root bound. Sawed off about 1/3 off the bottom of each and tried to fluff out the edges a little. I will find a shady spot to get them through their first summer.
HS_Nana_1.jpgHS_Nana_2.jpgHS_Nana_3.jpgHS_Nana_4.jpgHS_Nana_5.jpgHS_Nana_6.jpgHS_Nana_7.jpgHS_Nana_8.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
After about 8 weeks, if the foliage is still looking good, I would move them from shade to at least half sun. Morning sun is the best, less heat than afternoon sun. But junipers needs sun or the interiors will continue to die. The 8 weeks will give the roots a chance to start growing. Start by moving the "best color foliage" ones to brighter light first. They all should be in full sun before autumn. You will get better root growth too if they get sun.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After about 8 weeks, if the foliage is still looking good, I would move them from shade to at least half sun. Morning sun is the best, less heat than afternoon sun. But junipers needs sun or the interiors will continue to die. The 8 weeks will give the roots a chance to start growing. Start by moving the "best color foliage" ones to brighter light first. They all should be in full sun before autumn. You will get better root growth too if they get sun.
The spot I have picked should get an hour or two of morning sun. Probably will wait until after we are done with 100+ degree temperatures to move them into more than that.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not meaning to be contrary, but when I repot junipers, I always put them right back into the sun, unless temps are over 90 degrees.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
100+ degree temperatures
1588031433067.png
Could you divulge your strategy with the roots here and similar other ones?
I'm guessing this is to be removed to lengthen the trunkline, but I would think in the meantime
those roots would have been helpful during such hot conditions coming.
You've got a bit of money and time wrapped up just in the soil alone. Hope all 8 do really well for ya :)

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 299019
I'm guessing this is to be removed to lengthen the trunkline, but I would think in the meantime
You've got a bit of money and time wrapped up just in the soil alone. Hope all 8 do really well for ya :)
I cut off the bottom at an angle so I could adjust the planting angle. The flattened bottom of the root ball is essentially resting on the bottom of the box. I could have trimmed a bit off the top so that it didn't stick out awkwardly like that but figured it would get taken care of in a year or five. I am planning on covering the pots with some coco fiber mats.
And yes, several inches off the tops of the root balls will need to be removed eventually in order to reveal some nice bases.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My mistake. I missed that post :}

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My mistake. I missed that post :}
Are you sure it wasn't me that missed something 😄

I cut off the bottom at an angle so I could adjust the planting angle. The flattened bottom of the root ball is essentially resting on the bottom of the box. I could have trimmed a bit off the top so that it didn't stick out awkwardly like that but figured it would get taken care of in a year or five. I am planning on covering the pots with some coco fiber mats.
And yes, several inches off the tops of the root balls will need to be removed eventually in order to reveal some nice bases.
Great idea on the fibre mats. Have you used that setup before, if so do you have a link for storefront and thickness if that is an option?
I like the idea, I hear a towel works well too. I've never used a top dressing as such.
I guess you tack them down in more of a "permanent" growing season fixture.
Should help with weeds too I bet.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are you sure it wasn't me that missed something 😄

Great idea on the fibre mats. Have you used that setup before, if so do you have a link for storefront and thickness if that is an option?
I like the idea, I hear a towel works well too. I've never used a top dressing as such.
I guess you tack them down in more of a "permanent" growing season fixture.
Should help with weeds too I bet.
I have never used the coco fiber mats, but I have used old towels and spagnum. The stuff I have is a bulk roll sold as flower pot liner. I got it on Amazon, Coco fiber liner. I might have to tie or pin it down but I'm hoping it will just lay there.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A quick update:
They all seem to be doing well. The ones farther out in the sun are definitely growing better than the ones back under more shade. We will be expecting temperatures from the upper 90's into 100's for the next month or two, so they will sit right there until September. I might move a couple into a little less shade.
The coco mats are working well. Sometimes the chickens will pull one off a little.
DSC_0440.JPG

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A quick update:
They all seem to be doing well. The ones farther out in the sun are definitely growing better than the ones back under more shade. We will be expecting temperatures from the upper 90's into 100's for the next month or two, so they will sit right there until September. I might move a couple into a little less shade.
The coco mats are working well. Sometimes the chickens will pull one off a little.
View attachment 316368
Nice growth! If you can get them water twice a day, full sun 6+ hours is best. We are little south of you and they thrive in the sun.

Top Bottom