J. Quince needed help - fungal?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hi fellows.
One of my quinces is losing its leaves, they get yellow with brown spots from night to day. As the others are ok and humidity is low overall, I guess it is a fungal issue.
Should I try Daconil? Neem oil?

LRM_EXPORT_2508047362744_20190505_100321789.jpeg LRM_EXPORT_2566783093586_20190505_100420525.jpeg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you water it when it had no more sunlight?
Thụ Thoại

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are coming into your autumn, it is pretty normal for flowering quince to drop a lot of leaves in autumn. Where I live, with severe winters, they become totally leafless. I think this is all that you are seeing. Japanese flowering quince are not noted for fine autumn colors, leaves can look awful before dropping.

If you think the black spotting is fungal, flowering quince are pretty much susceptible to all the diseases that a rose bush might get, including black leaf spot, fusarium, and downy and powdery mildew. Stop at your local nursery and see what products they have labelled as Rose Spray. or Rose Dust. The fungicides in these sprays will work well on your flowering quince, and on any apple or crab apple in your collection.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
You are coming into your autumn, it is pretty normal for flowering quince to drop a lot of leaves in autumn.
Yes, it happens here. But I've got two other quince that are fine. Losing a few leaves, but not yellowing like this one.

...including black leaf spot, fusarium, and downy and powdery mildew. Stop at your local nursery and see what products they have labelled as Rose Spray. or Rose Dust.

Thanks for the tips, I will search for them.
Very helpful!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You are coming into your autumn, it is pretty normal for flowering quince to drop a lot of leaves in autumn. Where I live, with severe winters, they become totally leafless. I think this is all that you are seeing. Japanese flowering quince are not noted for fine autumn colors, leaves can look awful before dropping.

If you think the black spotting is fungal, flowering quince are pretty much susceptible to all the diseases that a rose bush might get, including black leaf spot, fusarium, and downy and powdery mildew. Stop at your local nursery and see what products they have labelled as Rose Spray. or Rose Dust. The fungicides in these sprays will work well on your flowering quince, and on any apple or crab apple in your collection.
Yup. Looked normal to me. What's in the picture does not have me worried.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Let's see the whole tree.

Well, brought it close to a plain wall to take the picture.
But... I have already cleared off the yellow leaves this morning. Every morning I've been getting more and more yellow fallen leaves.
LRM_EXPORT_6345196836307_20190505_123227504-1170x1536.jpeg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usually they get watered in the morning. I try not to water in the evenings, unless it rains of course.
Very good. Thanks.
My Chojubai had same sign as your quince in the fall and it is healthy . My other quince did not have this sign. So, you should not worry. ?
Thụ Thoiaj

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
My Chojubai had same sign as your quince in the fall and it is healthy . My other quince did not have this sign. So, you should not worry. ?
Thụ Thoiaj

Thų, very helpful, thank you.
I am not going to worry too much, hopefully.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Usually in the fall. In fact, I was going to repot it next month, as I am located in the Southern hemisphere.
It is my understanding that this is the optimal time to repot them, if you do them in spring you can cause a nematode reaction. What ever is going on it appears to be a lot like the fungal infection common in members of the Rose family. It looks like black spot.

Top Bottom