J. Squamata 1

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I figured I would start a thread on this young Blue Star for record’s sake alone.

Here “she blows” when received in early April.(After re-UP potting)

A52775AC-8288-4AD6-BAC6-432DB645BF91.jpeg

The juvenile foliage was cleaned out to make some semblance of “order” shortly after, as to properly “meditate” on the plan’s “direction”

Here it is today... just going to let it “do it’s thing” for a few years.. see what avenues emerge.

035979CA-218F-46E2-A02B-0ECF9483426F.jpegE71456E3-E506-4124-A2A1-508A8D451419.jpeg
5F6C094A-55CB-4BCB-B6E7-4724FAEBC840.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wishing you better luck with yours than I had trying to wrangle the species.
They bark up ok, but the foliage was too heavy for the flimsy branches IME.
I probably didn't cut it back frequently enough either and the foliage being coarse, I lost interest quickly..
Bottom branches need cleaning out underneath for better air flow.
It will still do its' thing, just better, and you're nearing good wiring time too.
This was one I tried maybe 20 years ago, and remember them shedding branches easily
and I used plain silver colored aluminum wire. I'll always remember that ____.
Have you any blue rug? That's one of sorces favorite junipers.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I probably didn't cut it back frequently enough either and the foliage being coarse, I lost interest quickly..
Bottom branches need cleaning out underneath for better air flow.
It will still do its' thing, just better, and you're nearing good wiring time too.
This was one I tried maybe 20 years ago, and remember them shedding branches easily
and I used plain silver colored aluminum wire. I'll always remember that ____.
Have you any blue rug? That's one of sorces favorite junipers.

Thank you, friend!

No.. i do not have any blue rugs.. i only get to “purchase” trees every once in a while...So I’m limited to mostly what I “hunt”🤣. (Purdy po’)

There ARE ground cover junis that I see occasionally..but they are seldom in great shape.. and mostly large enough of a “patch” that it seems inconvenient..

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So true.
The branches seam Flexible like you could tie knots in them. However, I recall damaging-and breaking all sorts of branches on mine when shaping/wiring.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So... last time I “cleaned” this guy up.. I performed the operation somewhat timidly.. because I was unsure if the tree was healthy enough/ would respond with new growth.

This was a mistake, as within 2 months of “growing season”.. it looked MUCH more unkempt than when I started “work”.

So this plant got “set aside”, as my “plan” at this point is mainly developing trunk caliper... The long con. 🤣🤣

Cleaned it up a tad again... this time around being just a touch more brash. B937A581-C5D0-45A0-B855-023C97B3D0D2.jpeg29E989D0-FC56-4A86-A2D1-D54B27F63FE2.jpeg0ECE9A3A-A15C-4788-B980-9DBB9427FD56.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you, Jelle!

I truly appreciate you taking time to offer me direction/teach me things. (Not JUST this thread)

🤓

I must take a break... it’s -1C here right now.. and my hands have gone from feeling cold.. to numb.. to hot.. AND NOW they are painfully burning (in sensation alone) 🤣🤣

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahaha
Here temps were VERY good today. SPent most of the day working trees. (Day of, jay!).

WHen you get back to your tree: Start wiring with thin wire, and start laying out primary, secondary and tertiary branches. Make pads of structures. Right now, all the young stull is left "to do its thing". I think you can creayte a nice structure.

Note: Squamata I find to be iffy with backbudding once the needles are gone. So I try to avoid the tree growing out too much, and prune strong at least once a year..

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hahaha
Here temps were VERY good today. SPent most of the day working trees. (Day of, jay!).

WHen you get back to your tree: Start wiring with thin wire, and start laying out primary, secondary and tertiary branches. Make pads of structures. Right now, all the young stull is left "to do its thing". I think you can creayte a nice structure.

Note: Squamata I find to be iffy with backbudding once the needles are gone. So I try to avoid the tree growing out too much, and prune strong at least once a year..
Ok.. but where the “branches” are still hardening “juvenile foliage”... where it only APPEARS to be a branch.. still treat it (loosely cradled by wire) like the branch it WILL be... or leave it alone until it defines itself more?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So... last time I “cleaned” this guy up.. I performed the operation somewhat timidly.. because I was unsure if the tree was healthy enough/ would respond with new growth.

This was a mistake, as within 2 months of “growing season”.. it looked MUCH more unkempt than when I started “work”.

So this plant got “set aside”, as my “plan” at this point is mainly developing trunk caliper... The long con. 🤣🤣

Cleaned it up a tad again... this time around being just a touch more brash. View attachment 339409View attachment 339410View attachment 339412
That's almost a whole roll of duct tape. You'd make Uncle Red proud for sure.

Top Bottom