J. squamata styling direction help?

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey nuts, new nut here.
Picked up this J. squamata expansa for cheap practice but with so many branches i'm not sure which direction to go. So far i've cleaned out some small interior branches I thought I wouldn't use and it's getting some back buds. BIG bar branch to the left but a nice curvy leader. Any ideas on possible styles or what size to shoot for with this variety would be greatly appreciated. Can add more pics if needed. Thank you!

1595521956788.png1595521991803.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings wanderer! We fired the mutton as we saw you coming from a distance. Relax your roots within the fertile substrate of the Tiny Forest.... ALL the Woody Dwarves are following suite.

Nice Juni. A lot more mature (and different in “needles and density” than mine. I like it... hmmm....

Your question entirely depends on what YOU would like FROM this tree.. I can see several options...

Which direction are you thinking of taking it? Because that’s of utmost importance...

What I would PERSONALLY do.. may not be the way you’d take it.. in fact it might be downright horrifying to you..🤣🤣🤣

Start THEORETICALLY eliminating branches in various combinations until one “clicks” visually.. Observe it.. then look for the “next” design..

I don’t know where your smoke signal is emanating from.. so I can’t really help assist with “timing” these decisions correctly.. ;)

You’ll definitely want to go ahead and update your profile to reflect a relative location/climate zone. (Mine just says NorthEaster Wisconsin) .. that way all advice you receive will pertain DIRECTLY to your individual climate situation. 🤓

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Digging the double speak. Timing I can figure out.
I'd like to keep it somewhat natural looking, nothing too contrived which makes me hesitant to just go with the S shaped main trunk.
Although I'm thinking there's not much I can do with the bottom 3, maybe 4 branches.
Just wondering if anyone sees any interesting potential that I don't.
windswept?
1595526780232.png

Attachments

• 1595526654612.png
    1595526654612.png
    586.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 1595526675472.png
    1595526675472.png
    574.2 KB · Views: 32

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You got more Squamata than a squatin mama.
More blue balls than a Sasquatch with a Mata-Mata!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hahaha ty, both. Think ill try something like this.
Not too far from the natural foliage habit just have to get them in the right place.
So it begins.
1595539325739.png

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
lol I wish, i've cut the bottom four branches and what seemed unnecessary. In the process of wiring. Probably butchered it but it should live to see a second "styling".

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol I wish, i've cut the bottom four branches and what seemed unnecessary. In the process of wiring. Probably butchered it but it should live to see a second "styling".
Good to hear you are taking action on the juniper.

Please send photos when you are done.

cheers
DSD sends

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Give me a few days to tweak it then let the roasting begin. This meme seemed relevant.

Attachments

• 1616199540380.png
    1616199540380.png
    645.7 KB · Views: 51

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Save one of those lower branches and just let the thing grow untouched. It'll thicken the base and give you a chance to play with jin/shari. I like the needles on this cultivar. I wouldn't mind stumbling across one for myself

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Base is surprisingly thick. I attemped/started to jin the lower 4 and one up top. So far i've stripped the bark and cleaned up the cut close to the trunk but I wasn't sure whether to use pliers or carve them somehow. Afraid I'll mess up with pliers but don't have any carving tools. Foliage is pretty dense in some spots. I'm hoping it will be tight enough for the size of the tree. Where it has back budded it seems to revert to mature foliage pretty quick.

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is where I'm at. I cracked what would be the semi-cascade branch so I've left it alone hoping it will heal.

Attachments

• style1.jpg
    style1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 33
  • style2.jpg
    style2.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 24
  • style3.jpg
    style3.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 24
  • style4.jpg
    style4.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 22

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My thoughts:
Top jin looks nice but maybe too big. Bottom jins are tough to work being so close to the soil, might wait until repot.
Foliage needs to fill in and be chased back.
Need to research how to wire without overlapping.
4 branches come from a whirl at the top, but there are a few possible replacements I will let grow unchecked.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I, personally, would leave the top jin alone, too.

Assess it’s relativity in size at a later date. (It’s not going to grow out of control, or anything :) )

The bottom Jins are, in fact distracting.. as is.. (just like you have addressed)

I feel they COULD still be utilized effectively.. I’m excited to see what you decide to do.

🤓

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bottom jins will be worked but I might have to carve instead of using cutters/pliers. Just can't get the tools in there. Will add pics after.

Top Bottom