J. Virginia Crack Cuttings Repotted

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are some cuttings of my J. Local that kicked it winter 2013/14.

A three group and one I bent up.

We'll see if they make it.
20150606_085941.jpg

20150606_085816.jpg

20150606_091721.jpg
I threw a piece of wire from the root base to the first curve and was able to bend it in as tight as the second bend. Forgot the after pic. Oops.

20150606_112538.jpg

20150606_112547.jpg
And the Twist.

Time to exploit the Eastern Red Cedar.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I found a new soil settling tool.
20150606_091507.jpg
Gentle and lightweight.
Good for human and tree.

Fish? Not so much.
But I am waaaaaayyyyy to impatient to watch a bobber anyway.
Plastics, lures, action.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally a use for a bobber.
These rooted pretty easy? They look to be doing good. I dug one of these up this spring. We'll see.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found it odd you said the original plant died. Mine have spent most Winters buried in snow and look like hell in the Spring with various shades of blue needs that seem weak. After two or 3 weeks though they turn to shades of green and grow well. In the past few 4 - 5 seasons they have only been slip potted 1 time from 3 inch to 6 inch wide nursery pots as I was told they do not like a lot of root work. Not certain if there is any substance to that statement on roots but I figure they are still juvenile so I have proceeded with caution. I was not aware they take from cuttings - what season did you start them?

Grimmy

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
He looks very happy in his new home, and that soil settler looks very multifunctional.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work keeping these healthy. I've attempted to collect a few volunteer seedlings but haven't had any luck yet. They sure seem touchy around the roots, but I love experimenting with the local material.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here they Are 3/10/14

I think I took the cutting in fall and rooted em indoor.
CAM00134.jpg

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice work keeping these healthy. I've attempted to collect a few volunteer seedlings but haven't had any luck yet. They sure seem touchy around the roots, but I love experimenting with the local material.

In the first picture are 5 collected at 2 - 3 inches in 2010, 2011, and 20012. They were repotted to 6 inch nursery pots from the original 3 inch pots a few weeks ago. The tallest is at 2 1/2 feet. The little guy in the first picture and second I collected a few minutes ago before my Wife raked it out of her garden. Not certain what it is but wanted to show you how and why I pot the tiny stuff like that. On all of them I used straight organic topsoil with a thin layer of pumice in the base for drainage. That allows me to rinse the roots clean at collect and really compact the soil around them without damage or a need to wire them in. I originally planted them like the new little one deep in the pot which gives them a wind barrier. All are placed in a Sunny location and watered daily. When they are tiny I protect them from direct rain as it dislodges the plant. They all get watered with the Dram set at mist as not to disturb the soil much. That infor should help you be successful in future attempts ;)

Attachments

• GEDC1519.JPG
    GEDC1519.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 69
  • GEDC1520.JPG
    GEDC1520.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 70

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
8\16\14Sorce

Looks healthy! It is cool to watch them mature. The two tallest of mine are showing the aged split bark and in a few years I expect pads. Waiting is kind of boring but I find it the best way to learn how to grow ANY species.

Grimmy

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorce, I dug up a juni volunteer from the front yard this spring. It's 2 or 3 feet tall, and looks exactly like yours. All juvenile foliage, tall and lanky. I thought maybe it was a J. communis, but you say these are J. virginiana?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorce, I dug up a juni volunteer from the front yard this spring. It's 2 or 3 feet tall, and looks exactly like yours. All juvenile foliage, tall and lanky. I thought maybe it was a J. communis, but you say these are J. virginiana?

A good way to tell on an immature one is the reddish tone of the trunk. Before they grow pads that is the easiest way. You can see it in my crappy quick picture.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry I missed that one. Don't know the difference though!

Ditto to Grim.

Sorce

Curious how separating the roots masses went on that and if they all survived. Looks to me you started with 3 or so potted together. I always have found them to be touchy so I try to raise them separate. I "think" if I let two grow straight and bend up three I might have what's needed for a vertical "Cliffside" planting - they seem sturdy enough to handle it.

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious how separating the roots masses went on that and if they all survived. Looks to me you started with 3 or so potted together. I always have found them to be touchy so I try to raise them separate. I "think" if I let two grow straight and bend up three I might have what's needed for a vertical "Cliffside" planting - they seem sturdy enough to handle it.

Grimmy

Really wish I took more pictures.

It was 4 total.

I used my bent skewer to take them apart. Odd actually, they came apart easy without losing anything. No tears no rips. No leftover mass of lost roots after.

They were in rocks, dirt, and model railroad ballast. I think that helped as it fell apart easy.

The roots were kind of one-sided. Like they all picked a direction and went.

The 3 we're arranged with the roots outward to make one Nebari.

And the bent one actually has a nice radial start. Good cuz it's the only solo one!

We'll see how they do! So far so good!

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Really wish I took more pictures.

It was 4 total.

I used my bent skewer to take them apart. Odd actually, they came apart easy without losing anything. No tears no rips. No leftover mass of lost roots after.

They were in rocks, dirt, and model railroad ballast. I think that helped as it fell apart easy.

The roots were kind of one-sided. Like they all picked a direction and went.

The 3 we're arranged with the roots outward to make one Nebari.

And the bent one actually has a nice radial start. Good cuz it's the only solo one!

We'll see how they do! So far so good!

Sorce

Cool - never looked at the two in one of those pots when I slip potted them into larger. In hindsight I should have never let them grow together because of my intentions but oh well. Those two and one other I have managed to keep a mangled low look though and it was a goal. Keeping the other two upright should work out. Thank you and enjoy!

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool - never looked at the two in one of those pots when I slip potted them into larger. In hindsight I should have never let them grow together because of my intentions but oh well. Those two and one other I have managed to keep a mangled low look though and it was a goal. Keeping the other two upright should work out. Thank you and enjoy!

Grimmy

Nice raffia trick.
Here's an update.
They seem to be doing well.
20150623_062739.jpg
20150623_062747.jpg

And that loaded fly paper. Gnats.
Bad. Any suggestions?

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks ;)

They do look fine!

Those gnats look like they need to meet a decent spray. There are some that you could apply to the area that kill other crap as well - something like this http://www.bugspraycart.com/insecticide/aerosol/flying-insect-killer or there is probably a decent aerosol at the big box places. So far that is one of the few things that don't seem to be a problem here "yet" :eek:

Edit: Had me thinking it might be that I have been using this granular around the parameter - Strange thing about this stuff is has not killed Eastern Bumble Bees, Praying Mantis, and several other of the "good bugs" and I am glad but have no clue why. http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/p...}&gclid=COfV8PuPpsYCFdcRgQodEqQAvw#activeTab0

Grimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom