Jabily / Elephant tree

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone have a female plant? I would love to cross my male plant for seeds. I can trade male established root cuttings.

DKBonsai

Seed
Reaction score
I would love some advice about what to do with mine. I'm a novice at bonsai. I know how to keep them alive but not much beyond that. This one is probably about 3-5 years old (maybe??). 20230916_103212.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would love some advice about what to do with mine. I'm a novice at bonsai.
Enjoy it as a houseplant? If so, you could trim it up like a topiary. Remove all the short lower trunk growth. Cut the main leader some where and cut the branches all back to a couple inches from the trunk. Let the lower branches of the canopy grow longer and the prune the top harder for a triangle shape. Each time you prune it adds movement and will ramify and backbud for denser branching.

IMG_5422.jpeg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would love some advice about what to do with mine. I'm a novice at bonsai.
If you something that looks more like a traditional bonsai form you could wire and cut the trunk back for taper or just chop low. Then regrow sections of the trunk with some movement and taper.

I have done hard chops during the outside growing season. I don’t know how an inside grown one will respond. Yours looks healthier than my patio plant version that moved inside last winter.

apedzink

Seed
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the thread. and this one’s not seen much activity in a little. However, I’ve been letting my tree dry out for the few short winter months we get here in Florida. My current elephant tree has been in its pot for about two nearly three years. And I’m thinking about repotting it. However should I wait until further in the spring? Or do it now while it’s in its dry phase. I’ve read most of this thread And while y’all have talked about root propagation which I’m tempted to try on repot. There’s some back and forth on whether to repot in late spring or mid-late winter. I just wanted to clear that up. I also pruned a few branches a couple weeks ago which are healing fine, if that changes the time frame. I also typically have it outside, but out of the Florida rains during the spring and summer. Which I’ve always wondered if it’s smart or not since we’re humid not arid here.

Top Bottom