Jaboticaba top heavy

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi,
My Jaboticaba is growing a lot on the top. Any suggestions what would be the best pruning strategy to shorten the tree a bit, and promote mid growth (where it's rather bare). My first guess would be eliminating some of the ramifications on the top 2" and 70% of that foliage, or shall I focus more on defoliating the top, leaving branches?
Thanks,

P3280077_lr.jpg

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am no expert but I have had a Jaboticaba for 3 years and I have noticed it can get strong up top. To combat those stron trunks I reduce back the thicker leaders. In your case I'd remove the left trunk down just low enough such that the right becomes the leader. Eventually I'd try to work the leader back to the small branch on the right but with my limited experience I'd been concerned doing it too quickly as that branch is not so strong. Perhaps a more experienced member might suggest something more aggressive.

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Contraneum. I ended up just doing a routine trimming, more heavily toward top. Aesthetically, those 2 parallel trunks do look like one has to go, per your comment, I just felt hesitant, as Jaboticaba are a finicky tree. Maybe in a month when it recovers from this trimming.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I am no expert but I have had a Jaboticaba for 3 years and I have noticed it can get strong up top. To combat those stron trunks I reduce back the thicker leaders. In your case I'd remove the left trunk down just low enough such that the right becomes the leader. Eventually I'd try to work the leader back to the small branch on the right but with my limited experience I'd been concerned doing it too quickly as that branch is not so strong. Perhaps a more experienced member might suggest something more aggressive.
This is exactly the way to manage Jaboticaba. The upper branches will quickly get thicker than lower ones. Keep the canopy thinned and let the lower ones grow to thicken the trunk.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You bought a tall tree, and that's what you are stuck with, unless you bite the bullet and shorten it to whatever height you want, then grow it on. They may grow fast in a Hawaiian rainforest, but that's not where it'll be growing. To get it more in scale and regrow a top, get rid of the upper tree and the strongest growth will grow on top which will give you a broad top which will be thinnish anway, because they do grow lush and thick in Va. Clip & grow works well, so imagine a canopy arc limit and remove anything that exceeds that line on a routine basis, especially during a growth spurt.Jabotocaba 3.JPG

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree with the above virt. I cut my apex about 4-5 times for every once I cut lower branches.
The species likes to grow multi-apexes so cutting hard is the only way. Takes a season or so to be unnoticeable.
Chop hard on top.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the topic of this tree, I have had one since last summer and it looked great but now it is top heavy. Does anyone know if it backbuds well? I will be taking it out of the tent soon and I know its going to need a makeover.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the art clipping Forsoothe! What I did that day was a 30pct trimming, just conservative trip. In 3 days the leaves have browned. I've killed Jaboticabas before :(. Any idea from this pic why the sudden leaf browning? I think I may cut it as you show, then the trunk will have to deel only the lower end. I prefer trees that are short and bushy, vs tall and stringy, also think the economics of tree nutrition favor a good outcome with a short one. Do I cut it? I am about to :)
Eric
20200401_120431.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The browning is probably from sunburn. If you trim the exposed foliage and leave the leaves that were in the shade, thoe can get sunburned easily. A bit like you in summer after walking around in the sun all the time, no worries. You go to the beach and you bring your arm up over your head while sleeping: Your sides will burn as they have not seen much sun.

Trimming.. IF you decide to reduce, I would probably then really reduce and also remove the fork left in the earlier shown artwork.

In my experiment I have had 0 die-back so no worries from that.

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK, cool. So I can cut it here: (photo, red line), and maybe root the parts I cut off with rooting hormone in soil? Or is Jaboticaba uncooperative to such a thing with established wood? Red line is 7" up the tree

P3280077_lr.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the art clipping Forsoothe! What I did that day was a 30pct trimming, just conservative trip. In 3 days the leaves have browned. I've killed Jaboticabas before :(. Any idea from this pic why the sudden leaf browning? I think I may cut it as you show, then the trunk will have to deel only the lower end. I prefer trees that are short and bushy, vs tall and stringy, also think the economics of tree nutrition favor a good outcome with a short one. Do I cut it? I am about to :)
Eric
View attachment 292952
Did you change exposure of the plant? If those are new leaves, that's their new color until they evolve greener.

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you change exposure of the plant?
So, the day I clipped it, I put the tree out to full sun, the white house reflects some light, so it got about 1.2x suns that afternoon. All other times it is indoors under grow/display light. I think it did get too much light. Since I prefer short stout trees, and dont really care for curvy trunks, I think Im going to chop it there, and try to root the other branch(s). Air layering is a noble cause, I just don't have the patience to start that one on this tree presently. This tree typically puts out red leaves that go green after a week, but the burnt leaves look crustier, wrong color, are old ones.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
On the topic of this tree, I have had one since last summer and it looked great but now it is top heavy. Does anyone know if it backbuds well? I will be taking it out of the tent soon and I know its going to need a makeover.
Responds well as mentioned. Usually get 2 shoots near cut areas.

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the advices.
So after some hesitation, I cut the tree in half. I didn't want to air layer, or to dispose of a half-tree. I decided to drill the base and shove some portulacaria roots in from an expendable 4mm trunk. The insert was a de-barked trunk, tapered and shoved with in interference fit, with a dusting of rooting hormone This may give me a 2nd mature Jaboticaba if it works. I hope this works, no idea if the tree will take another species' roots as it's own as a graft. Has anyone done such a thing? The original tree is fine cut in half, I don't think it will die.

20210114_185842_resized.jpg20210114_185908_resized.jpg20210114_190039_resized.jpg20210114_190301_resized.jpg20210114_192649_resized.jpg20210114_191712_resized_1.jpg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the advices.
So after some hesitation, I cut the tree in half. I didn't want to air layer, or to dispose of a half-tree. I decided to drill the base and shove some portulacaria roots in from an expendable 4mm trunk. The insert was a de-barked trunk, tapered and shoved with in interference fit, with a dusting of rooting hormone This may give me a 2nd mature Jaboticaba if it works. I hope this works, no idea if the tree will take another species' roots as it's own as a graft. Has anyone done such a thing? The original tree is fine cut in half, I don't think it will die.

View attachment 349167View attachment 349168View attachment 349170View attachment 349169View attachment 349173View attachment 349174

If it survives it will be because it grew its own roots. It will not graft with those, or in that manner (contact with the heartwood).

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vell, Dr. Frankensuch, I believe you are breaking new ground, ja?

Top Bottom