Jaboticaba

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
The crown branches thicken up quickly and need frequent attention or they'll quickly pass up the lower ones. Thin the leaves often. Here's some in the wild. The fruit makes really good wine!JABOTICABA.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in mind that if you do a full on styling now, the trunk will only marginally thicken over the next years. I would personally want the trunk to be bigger. Jabuticaba has smallish leaves but not extremely small. And the fruit will be about an inch in size. With a small trunk that might be a bit odd.

If you want a bigger trunk, you might not need any wiring now. Just prune to size so you can bring it home. And at home let it grow the trunk first before you continue with full on styling.

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you do a full on styling now, the trunk will only marginally thicken over the next years. I would personally want the trunk to be bigger. Jabuticaba has smallish leaves but not extremely small. And the fruit will be about an inch in size. With a small trunk that might be a bit odd.

If you want a bigger trunk, you might not need any wiring now. Just prune to size so you can bring it home. And at home let it grow the trunk first before you continue with full on styling.
So if I wire side branches and smaller younger ones but never touch the trunk that will still hinder the growth of the trunk?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thing is that when you style, you basically decide this is the tree you want. Ideally you build in the order of nebari - trunkline - branches.

To get the trunk the thicken you need lots of top growth which will spoil the image of your tree and create branches out of proportion. So if you now focus on branch layout and you try to keep them to fit, you effectively slow down trunk development.

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
Thing is that when you style, you basically decide this is the tree you want. Ideally you build in the order of nebari - trunkline - branches.

To get the trunk the thicken you need lots of top growth which will spoil the image of your tree and create branches out of proportion. So if you now focus on branch layout and you try to keep them to fit, you effectively slow down trunk development.
Ok thank you I think that makes sense. I was going to do minimal trimming. Guy wire a few stronger branches and create pads on 2 of my lower branches I like and leave it alone

Top Bottom