Jacaranda Bonsai pruning advice

GeoXd

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought this Jacaranda, 4 years old (see image). I like the shape of the trunk and I like the flowers that I hope to see in a few years. Online I read that one should hard prune this species. I do not want to make any mistakes and prune the wrong branches.

I am relatively new to bonsai so any bits of advice about pruning this species is wholeheartedly welcome.

Also, how would I ensure a reduction of leaf size?

Geo

Attachments

• 37A95ECD-6102-42CB-B026-39282A553D93.jpeg
    37A95ECD-6102-42CB-B026-39282A553D93.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 16

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If it is actively growing and spring time where you live you can chop it down to nothing. The leaf size will not reduce.

Jacaranda. My introduction to bonsai was a seed kit from my daughter. Two jacaranda trees are the survivors from it. Enjoy. Christmas 2018

GeoXd

Seedling
Reaction score
Chop it down to nothing as in.. chop the whole trunk? Or chop the two branches to 1 or 2 shoots?
If it is actively growing and spring time where you live you can chop it down to nothing. The leaf size will not reduce.

Jacaranda. My introduction to bonsai was a seed kit from my daughter. Two jacaranda trees are the survivors from it. Enjoy. Christmas 2018

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Most of those choices are up to you, your growing conditions and the risk you are willing to take. I keep mine outside all year long so my answers are unique to my growing conditions. If this has been kept indoors and you're just now putting it outside for the summer I would consider chopping it down to below the fork and letting it grow new leaves acclimated to the sun and do nothing the rest of the summer so that it builds up enough energy to survive indoors for the winter.

Top Bottom