Brent0423

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve been a little concerned about the health of my jacaranda seedling since it’s been sitting in a tiny container for a week I just moved it into a big pot do you think it will be okay? Is there anything else I need to do besides sticking it into the pot?

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It was in a tiny container for only one week? How did it get there? How long have you had it? Where are you located? Do you keep it inside our outside? Do you have pictures?

Without a picture and more information there is very little we can say. It is a tropical tree that needs as much sunlight as you can provide but also needs protection from freezing temperatures.

Brent0423

Seedling
Reaction score
1) I got it in the mail on May 30, so I guess it was 2 weeks ago, not sure how long it was in this pot.
2) I am located in Michigan and plan to grow it inside with LED in the winter, may or may not work but I’m giving it a try
3) it is currently outside
4) I attached a photo of it when I got it

Attachments

• 57DF30A3-DC3C-4A40-B6BC-E9298076073C.jpeg
    57DF30A3-DC3C-4A40-B6BC-E9298076073C.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 17

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks healthy for coming in the mail. I would wait until you see new growth before fertilizing, I use Osmocote but any all purpose fertilizer will do. It should put on a ton of growth outside for the summer. Since you've got an LED light it should do ok for the winter but I don't know anything about that because I keep mine outside all year. I understand pests can be a problem inside.

Brent0423

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks healthy for coming in the mail. I would wait until you see new growth before fertilizing, I use Osmocote but any all purpose fertilizer will do. It should put on a ton of growth outside for the summer. Since you've got an LED light it should do ok for the winter but I don't know anything about that because I keep mine outside all year. I understand pests can be
I have bio gold but I shouldn’t use it yet? I want to grow this jacaranda big like this… should I trim any of the foliage?

Attachments

• B3FBF47A-65FF-4222-8246-07FB5E30D28D.jpeg
    B3FBF47A-65FF-4222-8246-07FB5E30D28D.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 16

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That is not a jacaranda in the picture. When you google jacaranda bonsai most of the pictures that come up are wisteria, I'm fairly certain that is a picture of a bougainvillea, whatever it is, it is not jacaranda.
Here is a thread of mine. I have some videos in there. If you pinch the top growth it will produce two new shoots. If you wait and chop it you will get lots of new shoots. I do most of my chopping in January when the days start to get a little longer and the old foliage looks ratty. But again this is in Florida your care will be different.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I keep trying to get a good drive by picture of a mature jacaranda. There was a beautiful one at our local airport but I couldn't get my phone out quick enough to get a good picture. I was on a shuttle bus. But here is one in my neighborhood.IMG_9474.JPG

Brent0423

Seedling
Reaction score
You are right I think it’s a rhododendron… and am going to read your thread.
That is not a jacaranda in the picture. When you google jacaranda bonsai most of the pictures that come up are wisteria, I'm fairly certain that is a picture of a bougainvillea, whatever it is, it is not jacaranda.
Here is a thread of mine. I have some videos in there. If you pinch the top growth it will produce two new shoots. If you wait and chop it you will get lots of new shoots. I do most of my chopping in January when the days start to get a little longer and the old foliage looks ratty. But again this is in Florida your care will be different.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now to make your tree the same size as the one on the picture will take decades, especially if you are going to grow it in a pot.

As far as the one in the picture, I don't know, I think Bonsai Empire posted that picture a while ago and they label it as a Jacaranda Mimosifolia. I can't make up the leaves in the picture, jacaranda have compound leaves, but the flowers do look similar.

Here is a link to a Facebook page with that picture. I can't open FB here at work so I can't corroborate it is the same. If you do a google image search there are other posts from pinterest to this posts https://steemit.com/teambonsai/@ima...n-trees-the-jacaranda-tree-is-perfect-for-you

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
1) I got it in the mail on May 30, so I guess it was 2 weeks ago, not sure how long it was in this pot.
2) I am located in Michigan and plan to grow it inside with LED in the winter, may or may not work but I’m giving it a try
3) it is currently outside
4) I attached a photo of it when I got it
Put it in a gallon size pot. Keep it outside and keep it growing for a year untouched. Try to keep in alive through winter of 2022. 2023 move it to a 3 gal pot with minimal disturbance of roots. Keep it alive for another year. 2024 move it to a bigger but shallower pot. Any major pruning or shaping begins on year 4. Myself I would treat Jacaranda the same way I treat Royal Poinciana. You can do what you wish. I understand the itch to do something with our bonsai.

Top Bottom