Jacaranda help

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I saved this Jacaranda from our yard (actually my landlord's...) It was on it's way to certain death anyway. The trunk chop had been done before we moved in a few years back. It wasn't done for bonsai purposes but rather because the top of the tree was dead. This part of the yard gets a standing table of water in the ground at this spot from a probable broken underwater pipe and the other jacaranda next to it had already died a couple years back I'd guess. This one had almost no foliage left last July (2011) so I yanked it out of the ground and cleared some of the wet clay off some rotten roots and threw it in a pot with some coarse mix. Over the last part of summer and fall it put out some new shoots.
My question is if anyone thinks this base is worth working on. I don't mind being on the 10+ yr plan with trees. Also if you think the roots are useable as is. The backside doesn't look as good and has just 1 prominent root. (that's the photo with my hand in it.) There's a low shoot on the back along with another about 5-6 inches up.
My idea would be to save the large roots and repot it at a slant and use the 5-6 inch up shoot as the new leader (unless another came in a little lower and then I'd use that.) I'm wondering if this trunk is just too stovepipe and not worth the effort. It's about 3.5-4" caliber. Also this is a pretty big chop and I don't know if it would ever heal over such a big wound.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Ian

jacaranda-2.jpgjacaranda back-2.jpg

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would place the tree back in the ground if there is an appropriate location, that will help it heal any chop wounds the quickest as well as develop faster. I woulkd chop the trunk back to just above the top branch/new leader and then wire the branch to start creating some movement.

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
I have never seen a Jacaranda bonsai but noticed that the branches on mature trees take on a beautiful shape so maybe one day I'll be able to airlayer some if I end up in a warm country again.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jacarandas are difficult trees to turn into bonsai for two reasons:
(1) their large compound leaf structure
(2) their short growing season - they bud later and drop leaves earlier than just about any other tree I am aware of

For one month out of the year, they are the prettiest trees on the planet :) The rest of the time... not so much :) I think in order to make a convincing bonsai, you would have to work on a larger scale and embrace the weeping style of the leaves and flowers - not quite as dramatic but similar to wisteria. If you could pull it off, you would be amazing :) But you're right - personally I'm not sure I would be willing to put in the effort. But don't let me dissuade you!!

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks for advice! I noticed it last season that they really are late. Everything else outside has already happened by the time they throw out the green. I was thinking of going for a larger size tree (36".) My main question was actually about the roots. There are 3 larger surface roots in the first photo. I was looking for thoughts on whether or not those would be keepers or not. Thanks!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For one month out of the year, they are the prettiest trees on the planet :)

I was fortunate to vacation in Australia a few years ago during the time that the jacarandas were in full bloom, and I have to say that they are spectacular. It's too bad that they are difficult to turn into bonsai.

Ra_

Seed
Reaction score
The healing & growing power of Jacaranda

jacascar.jpg

Tree made it through its 2nd Winter and has resprouted from the base once again

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My main question was actually about the roots. There are 3 larger surface roots in the first photo. I was looking for thoughts on whether or not those would be keepers or not. Thanks!

Depends on what you have below. If none (which I suspect based on the root sizes), you might not have a choice other than a ground layer. Me, I would work with those.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am going to give a Jacaranda a go, I got the chance to airlayer a nice branch.

Top Bottom