Jacaranda Mimosifolia Progression - From Seed

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well when I got my new Leopard/Ironwood seeds I also picked up a packet of these guys so that I wasn’t spending more in postage than seed costs. Never grown these before but they are always the ones you see on those generic bonsai kits that make us all shudder 😅😅.
Can’t seem to find any information on pre planting prep, to soak or not to soak?

C95A781F-DB33-42B2-8088-68A2F4B254E0.jpeg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Edit: finally found some info that says to soak them for 24hours in room temperature water before planting...so that’s what I am doing 😊

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ive wanted one of these tree for a long time now, their flowers are beautiful its a shame they take 14 years to flower when planted from seed! I want to try and find a nursery tree started from a cutting.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive wanted one of these tree for a long time now, their flowers are beautiful its a shame they take 14 years to flower when planted from seed! I want to try and find a nursery tree started from a cutting.
I’ve heard people say 7+ years but it’s still a long time. But waiting is half the fun at least by the time it DOES flower it’ll already hopefully be quite a nice character of tree.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve heard people say 7+ years but it’s still a long time. But waiting is half the fun at least by the time it DOES flower it’ll already hopefully be quite a nice character of tree.
I actually just looked it up and they have quite a range that I wasnt aware of, 2 - 14 years haha. 7 would be a nice mid number to shoot for. but yes I have heard they grow super fast and fast growers are always fun.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This one is a 2 YO from seed. I had to up-pot it three times the first year. I’ll probably find a bigger one this year. It’s planted in used bonsai soil that I picked the old roots out. The lower portion is just starting to leaf out. Just gonna let it grow. Love the foliage.

7313F143-A8E8-424E-BC49-DAC6B486FB7E.jpeg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm going to bookmark this! I've lost 2 rounds of Jacarandas this year already. The first ones appeared to not be germinating so I left them outside and one of them popped up. It just died a couple weeks ago after a cold snap (high 30's) a couple nights. The second batch died as soon as I moved them outside. I think it was way too fast with no gradual introduction to the sun and wind. They died within a couple days. My 3rd batch is awaiting slightly warmer weather, so following along seeing how you do is going to be very helpful.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This one is a 2 YO from seed. I had to up-pot it three times the first year. I’ll probably find a bigger one this year. It’s planted in used bonsai soil that I picked the old roots out. The lower portion is just starting to leaf out. Just gonna let it grow. Love the foliage.

View attachment 364850
Crazy how fast they grow

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
April 11th: Nothing to report, but apparently they can take 3+ weeks to germinate.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, After being pretty sure there was just the ONE seedling...
It was affectionately named “Mimi the Mimo” by the minime and was moved into Tyrion’s pot so “she wouldn’t be lonely” (and there was room). Well....now we have a 2nd seedling sprouting😂.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to bookmark this! I've lost 2 rounds of Jacarandas this year already. The first ones appeared to not be germinating so I left them outside and one of them popped up. It just died a couple weeks ago after a cold snap (high 30's) a couple nights. The second batch died as soon as I moved them outside. I think it was way too fast with no gradual introduction to the sun and wind. They died within a couple days. My 3rd batch is awaiting slightly warmer weather, so following along seeing how you do is going to be very helpful.
Just soaked my seeds last night. I think I will just put them outside straightaway.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just soaked my seeds last night. I think I will just put them outside straightaway.
Ooh can’t wait to see them sprouting! I’d like to put my baby trees outside again but the weather has just been so unpredictable the last couple of weeks including crazy storms and high winds.

Top Bottom