Jacaranda Mimosifolia

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
In the Florida Keys, the problem may not be the wind per se, it might be salt in the sea breeze. The Jacaranda might not be salt tolerant. Your conditions seem fine, if not ideal for jacaranda, so salt in the air is the only thing that came to mind that might be causing problems.

That's so true Leo. When I lived in P.R. I had both Jaracanda and Poinciana. They could perish if grown by the ocean. They are not salt tolerant (unless sheltered, in some form where they can still get full sun and not be exposed to ocean mist). In P.R. there were Poinciana trees which grew blocks away from the beach. Jaracanda, however, was found growing inland.

Last edited:

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I was merely guessing, can you see a different cause for the failure? To my eye, your set up looks good.

I still think you're right.. I think it has to do with salt air. I cant think of anything else. Ive been trying for a couple years now. I had a good one going last year but the hurricane killed it.

This happens a lot too. Im not sure why. One day the tree is perfectly fine and the next morning it looks like this, literally overnight.

41706543_10156113704599531_6261604534183788544_n.jpg

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
That's so true Leo. When I lived in P.R. I had both Jaracanda and Poinciana. They could perish if grown by the ocean. They are not salt tolerant (unless sheltered, in some form where they can still get full sun and not be exposed to ocean mist). In P.R. there were Poinciana trees which grew blocks away from the beach. Jaracanda, however, was found growing inland.

There are a bunch of Poincianas around my area and they seem to be fine. Some are right up the block from me. some are right on the beach.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
There are a bunch of Poincianas around my area and they seem to be fine. Some are right up the block from me. some are right on the beach.

Yes, the Poinciana CAN tolerate some salt, but once it's fully established. A mature tree can, but not seedlings. There were Poincianas right around the corner where I lived ( I lived on the oceanfront), but I didn't see Jaracandas.

The image you just showed in the recent post looks exactly like my seedlings did when I tried to grow them close to the ocean, but you say you don't live that close. How close are you really? If it's about 200 ft. away, the wind could still be reaching it.

Last edited:

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Yes, the Poinciana CAN tolerate some salt, but once it's fully established. A mature tree can, but not seedlings. There were Poincianas right around the corner where I lived ( I lived on the oceanfront), but I didn't see Jaracandas.

The image you just showed in the recent post looks exactly like my seedlings did when I tried to grow them close to the ocean, but you say you don't live that close. How close are you really? If it's about 200 ft. away, the wind could still be reaching it.

Oh, I live close, real close, less than 200 ft. I have 4 poinciana seedlings right now about 12 inches tall and they do pretty good. If you can keep them alive for the first few months they do well. They seem to like a lot of shade at the seedling stage. If I put them in the sun, they drop all their leaves.. They only get filtered sun. I had four 4 footers last year and again, the hurricane got em. THe jacarandas are just so different. As soon as I think I have them figured out what they like, they die.. lol and it all starts with the tips of the leaves start to go brown. That big jacaranda I have now has one leaf that is kinda brown at the tip.. I hope thats not the sign! UGH!

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
As soon as I think I have them figured out what they like, they die.. lol and it all starts with the tips of the leaves start to go brown. That big jacaranda I have now has one leaf that is kinda brown at the tip.. I hope thats not the sign! UGH!

I germinated my seedlings using lamps (indoors) because I used to live in an apartment with no balcony. Once they were at least about 12" high, I transitioned them to a window with some sunlight. After that I put them in an outdoor area but incrementing sunlight gradually. The seedling stage is very fragile. Seedlings cannot take full sun at all. They need to be phased out gradually. They reason I managed to get them pass the seedling stage was because of the lamps.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I germinated my seedlings using lamps (indoors) because I used to live in an apartment with no balcony. Once they were at least about 12" high, I transitioned them to a window with some sunlight. After that I put them in an outdoor area but incrementing sunlight gradually. The seedling stage is very fragile. Seedlings cannot take full sun at all. They need to be phased out gradually. They reason I managed to get them pass the seedling stage was because of the lamps.

I think you're right.. The smaller ones I have in the shade now seems pretty good but as far as my big ones, why do they die suddenly? I think it should be established by then, no?

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I think you're right.. The smaller ones I have in the shade now seems pretty good but as far as my big ones, why do they die suddenly? I think it should be established by then, no?

Unfortunately, even the bigger seedlings you have are still seedlings. To survive the seedling stage one needs to wait at least 2-3 years. Yes, and I'm sorry about that, but it's true, 2-3 years must pass.

From what I see in your images you are not giving them enough space in the pot. They need to be planted directly into a deep, at least 1 gallon pot at first to avoid the stress of moving them from a paper cup or smaller container. On top of that, if they received the ocean wind it might have also hurt them.

That image you show of the bigger Jaracanda sharing the pot with another plant may not be a good idea. At that stage they can begin receiving some direct sun by means of 'dappled light'. Dappled light is produced when sunlight is filtered through the leaves of other trees, or just one hour of sun, gradually incrementing later on.

Since I'm no longer growing these trees, I'm linking you to a forum discussion which is wonderful. It's from someone trying to grow the tree from Sweden! (Yes, I know, a very cold country), but other members of the forum chime in and give great ideas.

Here's the link:

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t13905-growing-a-young-jacaranda

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Unfortunately, even the bigger seedlings you have are still seedlings. To survive the seedling stage one needs to wait at least 2-3 years. Yes, and I'm sorry about that, but it's true, 2-3 years must pass.

From what I see in your images you are not giving them enough space in the pot. They need to be planted directly into a deep, at least 1 gallon pot at first to avoid the stress of moving them from a paper cup or smaller container. On top of that, if they received the ocean wind it might have also hurt them.

That image you show of the bigger Jaracanda sharing the pot with another plant may not be a good idea. At that stage they can begin receiving some direct sun by means of 'dappled light'. Dappled light is produced when sunlight is filtered through the leaves of other trees, or just one hour of sun, gradually incrementing later on.

Since I'm no longer growing these trees, I'm linking you to a forum discussion which is wonderful. It's from someone trying to grow the tree from Sweden! (Yes, I know, a very cold country), but other members of the forum chime in and give great ideas.

Here's the link:

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t13905-growing-a-young-jacaranda

Ill tell you the story of why that jacaranda is sharing that pot. I had planted a bunch of Jacarandas in seedling trays and the big one that you see in that pot with that serissa was a lone seed, an extra seed that I didn't have room for so I stuck it in that pot not even thinking it would germinate. I was just going to toss it but said screw it and buried it in that pot. It's actually the best one that I have. The Serissa actually shades it. All my other jacarandas that I planted last year were in their own pots and they died except for two which were destroyed in the hurricane.

This is what they looked like after a few months. They looked amazing.

IMG_6588.JPG

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
All my other jacarandas that I planted last year were in their own pots and they died except for two which were destroyed in the hurricane.

I'm sorry about that! Have you thought about maybe getting the Serissa out? If you decide to get the Jaracanda out instead, my best guess would be to try to get it out as carefully as possible, because some seedlings hate being transplanted, maybe with a heftier shovel and trying to get it out without touching any roots.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Started this from seed last December. It's growing well but I think time to report. Unfortunately I've been growing on the window and live in humid Miami, Fl. I don't have indoor room for a larger pot so I wanted to ask if anyone knows if it would be safe to grow in the weoutside terrace. I've looked for info online but have found conflicting opinions. Thanks in advance and sorry if I sound new to this because I am.

P.S. I'm also noticing some dead leaves also and would welcome any tips for remedies, fertilizer or anything at all. Much appreciated.
Mine did this when i let the soil dry out too much and also when i had low humidity in the house. My humidity is around 50% now and it seems to do better. We will see if they start drying/curling again.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe it was overwatered in the regular potting soil you had it in? It says it's drought tolerant, so it might not like being wet all the time. In the first picture you showed, the soil looks quite overwatered.

The lanky looking roots on the seedling also might be indication of not enough air getting to the roots to promote healthy root growth.

Bonbal

Seedling
Reaction score
I wanted to come on here to ask for help. My jacaranda seems to be dying. Had leaves about 2 months ago and as you can see is bald. I added some fertilizer specific to induce leaf growing and some root powder because I just transferred it to a larger pot hoping it would get some reaction. Hopefully I didn't over do it on all the changes but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_173208.jpg
    IMG_20200320_173208.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 14

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wanted to come on here to ask for help. My jacaranda seems to be dying. Had leaves about 2 months ago and as you can see is bald. I added some fertilizer specific to induce leaf growing and some root powder because I just transferred it to a larger pot hoping it would get some reaction. Hopefully I didn't over do it on all the changes but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
These things are like weeds, just let it be and stop adding stuff. In general only fertilize healthy, growing plants. Don’t know where you’re located but full sun in the summer and cross your fingers.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't see how you can kill one as long as they don't freeze.

Bonbal

Seedling
Reaction score
These things are like weeds, just let it be and stop adding stuff. In general only fertilize healthy, growing plants. Don’t know where you’re located but full sun in the summer and cross your fingers.
Located in Miami, Florida

Top Bottom