Jack's professional

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got a good deal on this fertilizer. To me maybe 1 teaspoon per gallon for potted and 1 tablespoon for landscape? Does this sound about right? Not looking for a debate about fertilizers just looking for input. I turned a bonsai black once.... If in doubt ask questions. 1/2 teaspoon, full teaspoon and table spoon. Never seen directions like this.
20160921_174805_resized.jpg
20160921_174821_resized.jpg
20160921_174849_resized.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have an injector?

@Smoke Will know but he's deaf to me!

Tag him!

Sorce

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Directions seem pretty clear to me, they've given you instructions for both regular (by the gallon) and injector systems. The unknown is, what is the % of nitrogen in this particular formulation? Is it 20-20-20, 10-10-10, or something else? Knowing that will allow you to decide the dilution to use.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To me maybe 1 teaspoon per gallon for potted and 1 tablespoon for landscape?

That is their general purpose 20-20-20. Go 1 1/2 Tablespoons per gallon on your potted weekly during growing season only. Landscape flowers and vegetables will take the same but be careful on shrubs and trees as most of those when established in the ground normally need a dose in spring and fall only.

Grimmy

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is their general purpose 20-20-20. Go 1 1/2 Tablespoons per gallon on your potted weekly during growing season only. Landscape flowers and vegetables will take the same but be careful on shrubs and trees as most of those when established in the ground normally need a dose in spring and fall only.

Grimmy

That's a pretty hefty dose you're recommending, especially if it is 20-20-20. I would advise starting with less and working up gradually.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a pretty hefty dose you're recommending, especially if it is 20-20-20. I would advise starting with less and working up gradually.

Actually being the straight 20-20-20 without micronutrients is why I recommended so little - I use far more then that on a regular basis during growing season... :oops: Don't you?

Grimmy

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually being the straight 20-20-20 without micronutrients is why I recommended so little - I use far more then that on a regular basis during growing season... :oops: Don't you?

Grimmy
Nope. How much do you use and how often?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nope. How much do you use and how often?

I used to use far more with inorganic mix but went to organic this year. I use Jacks' 20-20-20 with micronutrients and feed weekly all potted, and all landscape flowers a mix of 4 1 /2 tablespoons per gallon weekly during growing season. I used to use 7 - 10 ;)

Grimmy

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The safe rate of application will also need to be adjusted to
compensate for you soil type. Garden/potting soil retains
more and can become a problem with soluble salts (what
fertilizer is made of) building up and destroying roots;
however, if using all those cute gravel mixes you'll need to
mix it straight and water every third day with it to prevent
depletion.
Are you having a second Spring out in Dallas?
We are here. I grow in nursery mixes and have been fighting
my plants taking over for the last month and only fertilizing
weekly.
This fertilizer is new to you. Start with a compromise mixture
of 1 & 1/2 Teaspoon/gallon and gauge, up or down, from your results.
ANY signs of crusting/buildup roll it back some and/or leach your pots
monthly.

PS. Soluble salts are NOT any salt that will dissolve but are all those
fifteen letter words that are on a fertilizer label. Very specific
chemical compounds that dissolve in water resulting in fertilizer.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use Jacks' 20-20-20 with micronutrients and feed weekly all potted, and all landscape flowers a mix of 4 1 /2 tablespoons per gallon

It was to late to edit my post but I stated 4 1/2 per gallon but my Haws is 1 1/2 gallons. I also failed to mention that I apply it 15 - 20 minutes after watering and I know some washes right through and is the reason for slight over application by me ;)

Grimmy

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. . . failed to mention that I apply it 15 - 20 minutes after watering and I know some washes right through and is the reason for slight over application by me ;) Grimmy

Exactly; on that point. Always apply chemical preparations to fully watered root systems.
. . . . . Think of un-watered roots
the same way. "Sensitive".
Never forget you are basically pouring a "chemical stew" over your plants root system.
Show a little consideration.
. . . taking an EC reading [Level of fertility within the root ball].. . . . I think that is why you
can see a plant grown on a nursery schedule and one grown by bonsai techniques and the
former will make the later look like a punk.
You do NOT let your plants go hungry. Nor do you let them get really pot bound; there
is a level of up canning that can be done at once.

Had a whole paper for you guys -- read it --even bored me. See above for high lights.

Top Bottom